Monday, August 24, 2009

I need a crystal ball to tell me what to do!

I started college as an instrumental music education major. My plan was to become a junior high band director. Soon into my classes, I became anxious about my choice. It didn't feel right.

After my freshman year, I finally got the nerve to change my major. It was a scary thing to do. What if I hated my new major? What if I sucked at it?

I switched to journalism. I loved it. I was going to be a TV reporter. I had some questions about it, so I interned at a TV news station. I loved it. There were things about the job -- the awful pay, the crazy hours, the scary and sad things you see on reports -- that I was unsure about. I spent a fair amount of my senior year talking to my TV news professor about them. She had actually been a TV reporter. She was honest, and she told me everything I was worried about was valid.

So after I graduated, I applied for a variety of jobs: TV news, newspaper, editing. I got an interview for an editing job.

Editing was something I always had enjoyed. It was part of my ultimate career plan. I was just bypassing the TV reporting part (which was only 5 years of my career plan, anyway).

I landed the editing job. Moved to Dallas. A year and a half later, I left my first editing job for a more exciting, more fitting, better paying editing job. I left there two months ago to come to VA with K.

I worked remotely with my Dallas company a few times. There is an opportunity for more work soon, but I haven't heard anything. It's been hectic lately, what with us getting settled and moved in, not to mention the visitors we've had the past couple weeks.

But I can't keep NOT working and stay sane. I have to find a job.

I'm tired of editing. Tired of not having control over my workflow. Tired of having to sacrifice my work because a writer hasn't delivered on his or her end of the deadline. I'm ready for a change. Something rewarding would be nice (the type of editing I did was not rewarding).

This move gives me the perfect opportunity to do something new. But now I feel exactly as I did my freshman year. What do I do?

There are things that interest me, and I think they'd all be rewarding jobs:
1) Photography. I love photography. I would be excited to learn about it. I always have my camera with me, and I love recording things.
Things to consider: I could have to sacrifice my weekends, which I'm not ready to do right now. Also, it seems like everyone and their dog is getting into photography right now ...

2) Personal training. I think it would be really neat to be able to help people get in shape. It would be doubly awesome because I'd know more about staying in shape myself.
Things to consider: I have no business doing anything like this yet -- so much to learn first! Would I even be able to learn enough without having to go get a degree in this field?

3) Esthetician. This would be such a relaxing job! It would be great to learn more about skincare, and this would definitely be a rewarding job.
Things to consider: Will I be able to move easily with this career? Definitely something to consider, since K is in the military.

4) (Honorable mention) Speech pathologist. For some reason, I have an ear for speech impediments. I hear them quite a bit in commercials. Also, when I was little, my brother had trouble saying quite a few letters. I taught him how to speak correctly. There are a variety of options with speech pathology, and every one of them would be very rewarding.
Things to consider: I'd have to go back to school to get my master's degree for this, and I'd be on the three-year program since I have no undergraduate experience in this field.


No matter what I choose, I'll have quite a bit of learning to do. Photography and personal training are both things I would want to independently. Both are things I think people consider luxuries, so I think it would be nice to offer both at more reasonable prices. I would be able to move with either easily, and the Army would make it easier for me to find and meet people who could become potential clients.

So much to think about ... and they all scare me a little bit. Yikes!

3 comments:

L said...

wow, that is a lot to consider! but it's great that you even have some ideas to start with! i'm trying to think about what's next for me, too.

Sherin said...

very exciting! i think you'd be great at any of these things. you could totally move easily as a trainer, photographer or esthetician.

Kari said...

I vote for Speech pathologist...the $$, the hours, how rewarding it will feel, ability to work part time (and still make $$$), plus you are super smart, so the MSc will be a breeze!!

Kari