Thursday, February 11, 2010

Valentine's, Schmalentine's

I have nothing against Valentine's Day, really. I just don't think it's a very nice holiday.

It's one of those things that always sounds great from the outside. One of those things that only matters on that day. One of those things that matters more if you're unable to celebrate it for whatever reason.

I've always told K that I'd rather have flowers on any other day of the year than February 14. They mean more to me that way, and they're cheaper too. Unfortunately, K never quite got the hint.

So a couple weeks ago, I suggested we boycott Valentine's Day. K was down. See, it's not that we disagree with the principle of the holiday. That couldn't be further from the truth. We just decided we want to celebrate Us on a day that's significant to us. So this Sunday will be exactly that for us: a Sunday.

Instead, on April 1 -- the date that K proposed to me in 2007 -- we'll celebrate [OurLastName] Day.

There may be flowers involved. Card purchases will likely be made. There could be chocolate. There will be gifts.

So in the end, the card companies will get their way; the florists will still get our money (only a lot less of it). But it'll be on the date we chose.

It's our holiday.

I love everything about that.

1 comment:

Virginia resident said...

I think you're idea about valentines day is still charming. You can decide what you want though of how you'll celebrate it.