Wednesday, February 17, 2010

After almost 5 years, we finally took a trip together ... alone

The drive to Snowshoe, where K and I went skiing, was about the same amount of time it used to take us to get to each other's apartments when we lived in Dallas and Louisiana. It was the first time either of us had been to West Virginia. It turned out to be a pretty scenic drive, and the closer we got to the mountain, the more ridiculous the road got.

If we lived in this town, I'd totally go to church here!



















Such a beautiful view.




















K said this is the craziest road he's ever been on. He actually got dizzy driving on the way back. These turns were insane!








































Quite a welcome sign ...






































Because we procrastinated on making our reservations, we weren't able to find a hotel room until Sunday, so we left Sunday morning. It was early Sunday afternoon by the time we checked in. We hurried to change into our gear and set out for the mountain.





















I still had my Keystone run-in in the back of my mind, so I was hesitant to go too fast, and having to anticipate other skiers' movements made me nervous. I felt like it was my first time skiing again.

We got a good 4 hours in on the slopes before calling it a night at about 7:30. We headed straight to a nearby restaurant for dinner, and then we went back to the hotel. We'd planned on hitting up the hot tub, but I felt awful.

I was getting sharp stomach pains in waves. I was actually doing the math, wondering if I was going to wind up on one of those I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant shows (our May wedding WAS 9 months ago!). I had hoped there would be a little romance involved in our first solo trip, so I'd packed a nice little nightie. It never left my suitcase. I actually got up sick a few times during the night.

We got up early the next morning and headed to breakfast. The thought of putting even water into my body made me nervous, but I forced myself to eat a couple bites. We stopped off at the gift shop for some Pepto, and we headed to the slopes for a few more hours before we had to go back home.

It was snowing, and since it wasn't even 10 a.m. (the slopes opened at 9), the mountain was fairly clear. We got to ski on fresh powder! I felt more confident, and my first run was pretty darn fast.

We got quite a few runs in during the 2 hours or so that we skied, and each time I was more confident with weaving around people and anticipating their movements. K was my constant cheerleader. I did pretty well! I didn't fall once, either day!






















The blue slopes at Snowshoe looked nicer than the "green" I'd attempted at Keystone. I actually considered trying one out, but K was hesitant to have me attempt that prematurely again. I think if I didn't have the whole Schoolmarm thing on my record, I'd have gone for a blue at Snowshoe (bonus points for rhyming!).






















With the snowfall, we had to head out before the roads got bad. We passed so many small towns with huge fields of fresh, untouched snow. K and I were wishing we could stop and just mess it all up. How fun would that be?!






















We got home at about dinner time. I still wasn't feeling great. I had slept a good part of the way home, but we were both exhausted. We unpacked and fell asleep just after 8:00.

Now that we're all rested, we're already talking about going back. Next time, though, we'll make a full weekend of it!

2 comments:

L said...

Ooh, I heard Snowshoe was really good! That is so exciting that your confidence is growing. Yay!!

Mrs. Architect said...

LOVE that church sign!