Sunday, February 28, 2010

The friend-making continues!

Last night, K and I went to a party hosted by a couples group I found on MeetUp. We arrived about an hour after the gathering started, since we procrastinated on making the appetizer we were bringing as our contribution. When we walked into the house, most of the couples there were a little older than we thought they'd be.

We played several rounds of Catchphrase -- guys vs. girls. Of course the guys lost miserably. It was a fun game to play, but there were a few people there who took it a little too seriously.

There were 7 couples there. Everyone was nice, but most of the people, I don't think we'd be interested in hanging out with on our own. The older couples tended to be pretty quiet. They just seemed mentally old. Of the two couples there around our age, one was amazingly awkward. (The husband actually had no idea who Ryan Seacrest is. That tells you how big the rock is that they live under. Not that Ryan Seacrest is particularly amazing or anything, but I thought everyone knew who he was.) The other younger couple seemed nice, but they were the last to arrive and the first to leave, so we didn't get to talk to them much. The girl had one of the loudest laughs I've ever heard, and I think it was getting to K. (Seriously, when this girl laughed, the game went on hold because no one in the room could hear a thing!)

The hosts were pretty cool. They were also a little older than us (the husband has a 14-year-old son), but they're probably just in their late 30s or so. They were really fun and laid back. K and I could definitely see ourselves hanging out with them again. They're actually the organizers of the group, so I'm sure we'll have plenty of opportunities to hang out with them again at other events.

It takes time to make friends, and we know that. It was a fun Saturday night out of the house. And after our first couples' meetup, we have at least one couple we look forward to hanging out with again. Not bad!

1 comment:

Nonnie said...

Meetup is an awesome site. I started a play group on there a long time ago, and that's how I've made a majority of my friends.