Monday, February 22, 2010

Feeling worthless

I don't know how much longer I can take this without going crazy. I feel like a lazy, worthless piece of existence.

I have no job. I have no friends here.

For the last couple weeks, I've been working remotely almost every day with the company I worked for in Dallas. It's been nice to have something specific to do each day (as opposed to a list of chores to do throughout the week), especially when it brings in money. But it's inconsistent. The work only goes from project to project. Not exactly consistent work.

We had two friends stay with us last weekend. One guy is in the area for a training class, so he's been here a lot the last month or so. The other drove down from Boston to see us. It was the first guy's birthday on Saturday, so we went out for dinner and drinks. It was three guys and me.

Since K is in the Army (and was stationed at such a shithole last time), I have often been in that situation -- being the lone girl with the group of guys. But that's how it always is here, since a couple of K's friends have found themselves in our area for training since we've moved here and since we don't know anyone here (girls or guys).

I was so excited to be going out on Saturday night! I picked out a really cute outfit and fun earrings. We didn't know where exactly to go out, so I had gotten on Facebook and asked a guy I worked with at the temp job if he had any recommendations. He gave us a list, so we picked a place and headed out.

The bar was all right. After we got there, the crowd started looking a lot younger. A live band played that was pretty decent. But going to a place like that with a group of guys is completely different than being there with a group of girls. Instead of talking and interacting with people, we sat at our table. Often in silence (although the loud band may have been partially to blame for that).

I felt awkward. Unfun. I love people watching, but it felt like we were at the table no one wanted to interact with, since we didn't look like we were having fun even amongst ourselves. Maybe it was because 3 of the 4 of us were married. Maybe I felt that way because I was the only sober one (someone's gotta be the DD).

I found myself (even more than at the gym or the grocery store or at restaurants) scoping out the crowd for girls my age who I could be friends with. Not that there's any uncreepy, unweird way to go about that: "Um, hi. You look my age, and I don't know anyone. I promise I'm not weird. Do you want to be my friend?"

I miss girl company. Getting dressed up to go out and spend time with your friends. I started thinking about the next time that will happen for me. Late spring at the earliest. It all depends on when I go back to OK & TX next.

That's a long time to wait.

So here I sit, wasting away in my living room. Again (although there is a work project that's supposed to be hitting my inbox anytime now). Because I don't have a job, and I don't know anyone here.

Blech.

*Note: I have applied for a couple of jobs lately. We'll see if anything comes out of that. I also looked up info for various volunteer organizations around here. I'm working on improving my situation, but I can still feel crappy about it for now. At least for a couple more hours.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, that's it. I am going to move to VA and we can be BFFs. And it will be fab-u-lous.

Anonymous said...

have you looked into meetup.com? it is an interesting concept that can be hit or miss - but i've made a really great friend through it, and another friend had great success with it abroad. the key is (i think) that you can't get discouraged too fast because you might not click with anyone right away. also - what about sports teams (something silly like kickball)? a lot of leagues have teams made of "free agents."

Kari said...

Oh -- I feel for you! I have moved a fair amount in my adult life (usually though it's been my own decision) and it's tough....it does get better -- trust me. The toughest move has been the most recent(mainly because the nature of my job not being able to socialize outside of work with my coworkers)...but at least I have work to keep me occupied.
Every time I have moved, I usually go back to my "old" city every few months for about a year...yes it gets spendy but it keeps me sane. Is there a community band you could join?? Have you found a church yet?
An amazing job and amazing friends are sure to come-- who wouldn't want to be friends with you!

Hugs,
Kari

Unknown said...

I agree with Kari- who wouldn't want to be friends with you? I would KILL to have a girlfriend like you in my real every-day-life! Or the real thing... don't you want to move to FL?! (although I know this is probably weird, but I totally consider you one of my girlfriends even though we're on the internet!)

This post hits home with me, because you know how much I have struggled with loneliness since moving to KW. And as I made new friends... they move away. Awesome. This is one aspect of military life that I just cannot get used to! And we are moving in June or July, so it starts all over again... sigh...

The other comments had some great suggestions (churches, sports teams, clubs/volunteering). The c.g. has an awesome website for spouses that has "local" boards, and the girls are always meeting up, doing Bunco nights, playdates, etc. Is there anything like that for y'all?

Ooh! And is there an Oklahoma alumni group in the area? I know there are Gator ones all over!

Seriously... just come to FL! ;)

xoxo!!

my life is brilliant said...

A: That sounds awesome! I can't wait!

themisadventuresofk: I actually hadn't looked into meetup.com before. After you suggested it, I made a profile on it. I joined a couple groups and even emailed a couple people. I'm feeling pretty optimistic about it! Thanks for the suggestion!

Kari: Moving
is hard, huh? I should look into a community band! I hadn't thought of that. We haven't even looked for a church yet. It's something I've been thinking a lot about lately, and I'd like to get back on that search. Thanks for such a great compliment!

GFF: Thank you so much! I would LOVE to move to FL! I've definitely thought of your old posts from when you first moved. It's been helpful to be familiar with your transition in KW.

I've looked up info for wives at the post where K is stationed, but there's a lot of brass at that post, and I worry that the wives will be stuffy or older. I also have heard horror stories from other wives who tell me to stay away and avoid the drama ... Very soon after we moved here, I looked up OU alumni groups. The closest one is in D.C. Maybe I'll start one here through MeetUp. :)

Mrs. Architect said...

Sorry sweetie! Looks like some great advice already listed. :o)