Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A tour of our guest room!

For being the room I was most excited about decorating when we first moved into our house, the guest bedroom sure has been something I couldn't make up my mind about.

When K and I chose the bedding a year ago, I envisioned a peaceful, calming room. When it came time to paint, I looked through several paint swatches before settling on a color called Putting Green. It looked like the perfect shade in the room in which I tried it on the paint company's website. Once we got it on the walls, however, it was a much more energizing shade than we'd planned. It wasn't quite neon, but it was close. Since then, we've debated on repainting. We weren't particularly excited about the thought of having to paint the whole room again, even if it would just take one coat, so we just left it.

Then, a funny thing happened. We chose our curtains to help block the all-day sunlight and to help balance out the white bedding. When I looked for a tablecloth to cover the side table, I found something even better than I'd hoped for. It tied in the green in the walls (well, the green we'd hoped for), the yellow in the accents I had all around the room, the white in the bedding, and the color of the curtains.















































As I started finding items to fill out the room, I stumbled upon things that weren't my typical style, but they fit the room perfectly. Things like the funky, old-school alarm clock, and the lamp for the corner.





























Someday soon, I plan on searching for some kind of patterned fabric to make a headboard for the bed. (Of course I'll post "Woohoo, I did it!" pictures once that's done.) I'm excited about the options I have to play off the colors in the tablecloth.

I found an adorable plate at Pier 1 for a whole $5, and it fits the style of the room perfectly! It's now on the wall right when you walk in the door.




















This little decorative hook I found awhile back fits the room great. I also hung some mirrors on the blank wall next to the door.






































I can't forget our fabulous blue sky-patterned ceiling. We can't take credit for it, as it was already like this when we moved in. We actually like it. It's a fun little detail that a lot of times people don't notice initially. There are even a few glow-in-the-dark stars on the ceiling (also not our doing, but totally staying)!




















I like that the room has meaningful touches to it. The "Yellow" art near the side table is a card a friend gave me when I started my last job in Dallas. She knew yellow was my favorite color, and I thought the card was so cute I hung on to it. It looks great next to the side table!





























The pictures in the white frames are meaningful as well. I took the photos in the small frames. The lilies are from the bouquet K sent me last May for Military Spouse Appreciation Day. The picture on the right was taken the first time K and I went to the beach when we moved here. The picture of the rose is one I bought at Michael's, which is why the sticker is still on it. I think a picture of a funkier flower might be a better fit, and I think it's fun to have history behind the photos.




















I do have to say I would love to paint the dresser in the corner white (or black), and I'd love to paint the chest black and change the fabric on top to a more fun pattern (or even have it match the tablecloth), but I'm reluctant to paint them just for this room, especially since we'll just be in this house for two years. (Note: In the second photo below, the color is a bit off because I turned the flash off so I could get the shot straight-on.)






































Still, I'm really happy with how this room turned out and how it's come together. I never would've thought the accessories would tone down the color so much. The friends who've visited so far have all commented on how happy the room feels and how they like that the color is so unexpected.

I think we'll keep it!

4 comments:

Liz said...

I love it! I still haven't been able to paint or decorate our house so it makes me super happy to see what others do with their homes.

Katrina said...

Beautiful! I think I need your decorating expertise over here. I do NOT have the touch!

Anonymous said...

Oh, fun! I like. And I'm sure your many visitors will, too. :)

my life is brilliant said...

Thank you, thank you all!

Liz, I'm sure it's a little easier for me to decorate since I don't have two beautiful little girls to play with, chase around, and stare at all day. I can't say I blame you for putting off the painting!

Katrina, thank you so much! If it makes you feel better, I ALWAYS doubt my taste -- which is why I post a lot of things on here asking for honest opinions. :) Your comment really made my day!

And A, I like that you think the room is fun. It may not be the relaxing, calming oasis we'd intended, but I think it may have been a pretty good mistake. :)