Monday, September 14, 2009

It was the worst date of my life

Until tonight, I'd never been on a blind date. The closest I'd come to that was meeting bloggers whose posts I'd read for months. I'd seen their pictures. I knew things about them that they didn't share with their friends in some cases. Definitely not a blind date.

Tonight? Absolutely a blind date.

K and I still don't really have friends here. Our retired neighbors and K's much older coworkers don't exactly offer many options for buddies to hang out with.

K has a new coworker who's around our age who seems pretty cool. The one time I met his wife, I liked her too. Trouble is, she's British. She's in the process of getting her visa, but until that happens, she's primarily in London, flying back to the U.S. only for short visits. Boo.

CG told me about a military wife network online, so I joined. I found the forum for our new area and asked if anyone would want to meet up. People answered! Four of us set up a meeting for tonight.

This afternoon, one of the ladies had something come up, so she couldn't make it. There were still supposed to be three of us meeting up. I had high hopes.

Turns out I had false hopes. The third girl didn't show, so it was just me and one other lady, Jill. Jill was nice, but I really don't think we have much in common. She was kind of weird, and sometimes her mannerisms and the things she talked about made her seem child-like.

The conversation wasn't very good, and there were several awkward pauses. It was definitely not one of those instant friendships, but I was still hopeful.

She was a Navy wife. I have no idea how old she is. She had a young face (maybe 30s), but the way she dressed and her hairstyle made me wonder if she was in her late 30s or early 40s.

I asked if she had kids. She said she had four-legged kids. The word "furkids" kind of freaks me out, and none of my friends have ever referred to their pets as their kids. (My response to the kid question is always, "Nope, just a dog.")

Jill knew I don't know anyone here, but she told me stories about her friends. She referred to them by name, even though I had no clue who she was talking about. She gave me random factoids. Six of them (including her) had June birthdays. Sarah suddenly stopped being her friend, but it was her (Sarah's) loss because they would've taken her out for her 21st birthday. Emily moved to Michigan. Good to know.

Sometimes the things she had to say seemed pretty negative. She told me how she'd gotten kicked off the board of a (volunteer!) military spouse committee. I've heard those can be catty, but that's still a weird thing to share so early.

Several times, Jill mentioned her husband's deployment. The Army typically has much longer deployments than other branches, so I intentionally kept from mentioning K's deployment(s). After she mentioned her husband had gotten home in April, I finally took the bait. "How long was he gone?"

"Seven months," she said. "It was a long time." I bit my tongue. (Eventually, she asked about K and if we'd been through deployments, so I had to answer then.)

She told me about the trip to Hawaii that she and her husband had taken in May. Her sister, who also lives on the East Coast, had called her while she was in Hawaii. She asked her sister what time it was. Confused, her sister said 8. Jill told her sister she'd call her back in the next couple hours. (Another riveting story.) She didn't explain the ginormous time difference or that she was in Hawaii because she knew her sister would tell their parents that she was in Hawaii.

"Wait, your parents didn't know you were in Hawaii? And you didn't want them to know?"

She nodded. "Are they big worriers or something?"

She told me that they still don't know she went to Hawaii. I never could figure out why she'd kept it from them. I got distracted because she told me about how they also don't know she went to Dubai for five days. She went there to meet her husband while he was docked in Dubai. "Did you not tell them because it's another country?" I asked. She told me they probably would've said she didn't need to go, since there was a chance her husband would dock before or after her trip, so she could miss him altogether. "So what? He's your husband. That's understandable. If the Army had told me I could fly to Kuwait and spend even 24 hours with my husband, I'd have been on that plane come hell or high water!"

Why on earth would a grown, married woman feel the need to keep from her parents (who she said she has a good relationship with) that she went on f*!king vacation?!

It was then that I let myself write this lady off. There was just too much that didn't make sense, and there was too much negative. I'm not opposed to being acquaintances or to meeting up with other people and having her there, but I don't think we'll become close friends.

Bummer.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say (in general), military wives can be really strange. The evening you described sounds like SO MANY of my evenings since we moved to KW! We've met some really, really, really weird people. It took me awhile to find "good" friends (we have lots of acquaintances but that's different). We've met nice people in random places: swim lessons, the playground, church (although my target population is young mothers at the moment as I am looking for kids to play with Amelia). I met my two closest friends in nursing school (then they promptly moved away). It is TOUGH.

Anyway, I feel your pain. I am envious of some of these military wives who move and are instantly surrounded by new BFFs. But when I think about it, most of them would never be in my pick of women to hang out with anyway!

Just give it time and enjoy your peace & quiet with K. Trust me, your life will be full of people before you know it, and you'll think fondly of your first days in VA! xoxo, GFF

Anonymous said...

Oh, I HATE when people refer to others by just their name and expect you to know who you're talking about. "Kelly and Don and their little Katie are going to the park." Who? What? Help me out.

Ugh.

Anyway. Good luck on the friend making mission. Maybe something on www.meetup.com? Or does OU have an alumni chapter in the area?

XOXOX

Charlie said...

Yep. She sounds like a definite weirdo and maybe one to avoid! You seem such a friendly open person, I'm sure you'll make friends in no time.

my life is brilliant said...

I've looked into the OU alumni thing, actually. The closest one is in D.C., which is about 3 hours away.

I haven't tried meetup.com. I actually did some searching on Craigslist and have been emailing a girl there. We'll see how it goes. I may give meetup.com a shot too. Thanks for the suggestion!

Liz said...

There really are some weird people in the world. I'm sure that you'll find some good friends. It took me a few years & having kids to make a few good friends in the town that I live in now.

Speaking of meeting random people... we're taking a trip to Fredricksburg in a few weeks. I have no idea where in VA you are, but if it happens to be there, maybe we could meet up! I've only met one other blog friend & it was a lot of fun!