Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Job interviews: Like first dates, but with a little more on the line

My face-to-face interview was yesterday morning. This means I spent the weekend and Monday putting way too much thought into stupid things.

What should I wear? Do I need to bring writing samples with me, even though they didn't ask for them? Will this shirt be too feminine? Is it bad to wear sleeveless?

I had painted my nails purple over the weekend. They were nicely done, with no chips or anything, but I worried that they wouldn't be right for the interview.




















It's funny how clothes that are just fine for work can be all wrong for an interview. I wanted something with color, but not too much. Something bright, but not crazy bright, and no stupid power colors. I chose black pants -- my older pair, rather than the newer pair that fits more snugly -- a bright blue sleeveless shirt, and a light gray cardigan. Enough color, but not overpowering. I chose basic black pumps and simple earrings. And even though K assured me the interviewers wouldn't judge me for my nail polish, I painted over it.

The interview went well. It lasted about an hour. I think the position is something I'd really like. It would be interesting, and I'd get to work with a team. I'm worried about switching gears to writing, since I've been editing for the last 4+ years, but I think I could do it.

The director told me they're interviewing a couple more people, but I'm a strong candidate. They asked if they made a decision this week, would I be able to start next week? (Of course! I did tell them I'll be gone for a week at the end of the month.)

Yesterday afternoon, they emailed me for references. They sent me a writing test. The ironic part? They wanted me to write headlines. I hate writing headlines! It was my least favorite part of my first job in Dallas (and it was a huge part of my job). It's actually what I have most trouble with in blogging.

They told me not to spend too much time on the headlines. I did, but I told them I didn't. In the end, I'm happy with one of them, and I think the other is kind of dumb. I was just ready to be done, though, so I sent them in.

We'll see what they think. I do tend to be my absolute worst critic when it comes to things like writing headlines. And what's even more annoying is that they're so damn subjective anyway.

If they offer me the job, fantastic. It'll be nice to have income and an actual purpose to my day (other than cleaning the house over and over and going grocery shopping). I'll get out of the house and meet people. I'll use my degree.

If not, then maybe some of the other resumes I've submitted will amount to something. After all, this job would be a 30-minute commute. It's a little longer than I'd like, but I'm willing to do it.

And if none of the resumes amount to anything, well, at least it's warming up. It'll be a lot more fun to be unproductive on the beach than it is to be unproductive in our living room. No matter what happens, at least I'm done worrying about how my nail polish will affect my future.

3 comments:

L said...

I love that purple! I've been wanting to try that color. I don't think it's too loud a color for an interview. Congrats on it going well!

Mrs. Architect said...

I'm excited to hear how it goes. And you're right - its a win/win situation.

And I say good decision on painting over the purple polish. Although cute, I wouldn't wear it to a job interview.

Anonymous said...

I have a feeling that both of your headlines are fabulous. :)

Good luck!