Friday, March 05, 2010

A sign I might be spending too much time around guys

I watched Bride Wars for the first time the other day. I had heard good things, so I was excited to see it -- just like I was when I saw The Proposal, Baby Mama and The Ugly Truth, since I'd heard such good things about them.

Somehow, every single one of those movies was disappointing. With Bride Wars, it got annoying watching such good friends let catty ridiculousness interfere with their friendship for so long. With The Proposal, I thought the story line was completely unbelievable. The last two just didn't do it for me.

I've always been a chick flick girl. Love Actually is my very favorite movie. I will forever love Pretty Woman and Steel Magnolias. The Wedding Planner, The Notebook, Sixteen Candles ... I love all of those. (I realize it's slightly blasphemous to throw The Wedding Planner in with that list, but Matthew McConaughey is just gorgeous.)

What I'm wondering, though, is if I'm just not a chick-flick girl anymore. The movies that I've loved most from the last few years have definitely not been chick flicks: the Bourne movies, The Hangover, Zombieland ...

It seems over the last few years, there've been a lot more chick-flick flops for me than chick flicks I've liked. The Family Stone and He's Just Not That Into You were huge letdowns. I think the last chick-flick I saw in the theater that I actually liked was Made of Honor.

This is odd, and a little frightening. It's left me with a few questions: Are other women disappointed with chick flicks lately? Have the plots just gotten old and uninventive? Have all the good ones been made?

Or is it just me -- has my taste in movies changed? Has the ridiculous amount of testosterone I find myself surrounded with started to take a toll on my movie taste?

And if that's the case, do I even bother watching the new movies I still want to see, like When in Rome, Up in the Air, and Valentine's Day?

2 comments:

Kari said...

You are not alone...I was disappointed in Bride Wars, the Proposal and Baby Mama -- the only saving grace for all three was that I saw them on planes -- so I didn't have to pay for them...I think that maybe the chick-flick genera has changed (I am going with that...it's not that I am getting old!)? I enjoyed Blind Side and Invictus more than any chick-flick movie I have seen in the past year.

L said...

I think chick flicks have been pretty lame of late. I did enjoy 27 Dresses and most recently Dear John. I'm hopeful that When in Rome and Back-up Plan might be good. Valentine's Day was meh and Up in the Air wasn't really a chick flick, but good.