Wednesday, March 10, 2010

My little reminders

See these? Know what they are?



















That's right. They're gray hairs.

Know where they came from? My head. My 26-year-old head.

These are the longest ones I've ever found. I've been finding them for a while.

I remember the first time I gazed into the mirror and found these little intruders making their way into my brown, curly locks. I was 24. I was in Dallas, in my bathroom. My husband was on the other side of the world, saving the planet. I was doing everything I could to stay as busy as I could. I was planning our Dallas wedding, even though I had already planned one wedding.

There were only one or two grays, and they were short. Hardly noticeable. I was surprisingly nonchalant about them. It wasn't like I didn't expect them to come someday, you know? Plus, if when they start to take over my brown, curly locks, I'll just start dying my hair.

The thing is, I went through a lot to get these grays. The fact they showed up when they did makes me almost have an appreciation for them. Every time I find one, it's a reminder of how stressful that time was for me, how hard I worked to get through it, and how happy I am with the way things have turned out. Planning two weddings and watching the love of your life head off to war twice before you turn 25 isn't easy, but I did it. And we made it. Instead of a trophy, live gave me grays.

So every time I find a gray hair in my head, I smile to myself ... right before I pull it out. Just because I see them as a nice reminder doesn't mean I want the rest of the world seeing them too!

2 comments:

Mrs. Architect said...

hmm...maybe one pro to being naturally blonde?? Guess I remind myself of this when I'm grumpy, pouting and frustrated that its impossible (and horrible) for me to tan. Or should I say ATTEMPT to tan.

Anonymous said...

I'd rather you have a real trophy - really big and really shiny! - but, since you get the grays instead, I'm glad that you have the right attitude!