Tuesday, February 13, 2007

What the heck is my problem?

I don't know what it is, but lately I've been feeling like one cranky biotch. I don't think I've been rude to anyone or anything like that, but I just feel cranky. And the worst part is I don't know why.

The first night I felt like this was a week ago Friday, when I drove to K's. That crankiness was at least spurred on by something -- strangers' rudeness -- and it just grew from there. It disappeared, but the crankiness quickly returned for a stupid reason I explained in my post about that weekend. Luckily, it vanished for good moments later, but it was frustrating to be on a roller coaster like that and to not really know why.

Things were pretty normal through the week until Friday night. CG and Joe were later than they'd planned to be getting to my place. K and I had a couple things to do before they got in, but CG didn't answer her phone when I tried to call to see how far they were.

K and I actually fell asleep because we were both exhausted from a late Thursday night and a long day that Friday. When I woke up after 7 (30 min. later), I called CG again. She answered this time. They were just a few minutes away. I was frustrated they hadn't called earlier, since K and I were waiting on them.

Truth is, we wouldn't have had time to run our errands, but it would have been nice to know they'd be running behind. The stupid part? I knew they'd be late anyway because they had planned on the only drive taking three hours, even though they'd be driving during rush hour. I realized the whole thing was no big deal and that it was stupid to be annoyed, but I was.

The next day, I woke up before CG. The guys had gone shopping at an electronic store, so we were the only ones here. I wanted to get up and shower, but I decided to wait so I wouldn't wake CG. Once she got up, she showered and started getting ready for a meeting she had later that day. I was getting ready to get in the shower when she mentioned something she had to have done before she left and how slow she was being getting ready, and it was putting her behind. Of course I volunteered to do the thing she needed done (sorry to be so cryptic, but if I say more, it'll give too much away). It involved some supergluing, so I wound up annoyed that I was having to put off getting ready for the day myself, and I wound up with super glue all over my fingers. (All the while being totally aware that I'd voluntarily put myself in that position.)

CG did manage to find time to fix herself a Diet Coke and eat some M&Ms while I was supergluing my fingers together, which bothered me. How can people eat like that at 10:30 in the morning? Especially when they're on Weight Watchers?! At least wait until after noon to eat junk food!

CG and Joe left at about 11:45 that morning. CG is so scattered and was so rushed that I wasn't able to do anything until after they left. She's a little messier than I am (keep in mind I'm totally OCD), so I felt like I was going around putting things back in order and how I like them. Then, I was able to shower, but I had to take time out of getting ready myself to try to get the super glue off my fingers. I was cranky that I was getting such a late start because of everything that morning -- especially since I'd wanted to get moving at around 9:30.

While I was getting dressed, I realized they'd left a pair of glasses. That made me frustrated as well, since if they had planned better and CG had gotten up and around earlier, they wouldn't have just been rushing out the door like they had. They'd have had time to make sure they had everything. K and I had to make plans to try to meet up with them again later so we could get them their glasses. Their meeting took longer than they'd expected, so we didn't get to meet up with them. Instead, K was going to have to overnight the glasses to them. Three guesses how I felt about that.

Tonight, I didn't feel like going to the gym, but I'm going to Hawaii in a month, so dang it, I went to the gym! Once I got there, it was really warm inside, and it's usually not. I started off doing leg exercises, and I noticed this woman sitting on an exercise bike watching TV. She was just sitting -- not working out. Not only was she sitting, but she was slumping on the bike. I really wanted to go up to her and ask her to work out or something. At the very least, just sit up straight so at least her metabolism would be going faster than if she were slumped over. While I was thinking these things, I realized it was absolutely ridiculous that I even cared.

I had gone through my leg circuit and was doing some lunges when these two guys came over to do bench presses near me. Something about these guys bothered me, and I noticed they were both wearing necklaces. Jewelry doesn't belong at the gym. Especially on guys. (Small earrings are okay. Girls who wear hoops get stupid looks from me -- the bigger the hoops, the dumber the look I give them. Seriously -- you're there to WORK OUT!)

I eventually made it over to the ellipticals. The girl in front of me was running in an odd way. It looked like she (a) had been on a horse all day, (b) ran like a guy, or (c) was wearing a diaper that was so dirty she was afraid to put her legs closer together when she moved (use your imagination to realize why). The girl two ellipticals down from her was also running funny. I've seen this girl on the ellipticals before and noticed her odd technique, but tonight I couldn't handle it. She keeps only the balls of her feet on the elliptical, and she doesn't move them at all. The entire top half of her body doesn't move. I realize you're actually supposed to try to keep the top half of your body still to get the most of your workout on the elliptical, since bouncing minimizes the workout, but the way she runs on it just looks funny. Even when I'm not cranky.

There's not much to do on an elliptical. You stare ahead at the 13 TV screens. Since I'm OCD, I have a habit of counting things. Over and over, and in different patterns. So as I run on the elliptical, I slowly drive myself insane by counting the 13 flat-screen TVs before me in 50 different ways. I can't stop it, but it drives me nuts.

With that and the incredibly hot temperature, added to the two weird runners in front of me, I decided to leave the gym after 150 calories on the elliptical. I'll go longer tomorrow.

I'm hoping my bad attitude lately is just from a lack of sleep. For some reason, every night the past few weeks I've gone to bed after 1 and gotten up at around 7. That's getting to bed later than usual and getting up earlier than I did for my old job. I'm hoping getting to sleep earlier tonight will bring back my regular attitude.

1 comment:

a tall sassy gal said...

Trust me I know how you feel...I am one roller coaster of emotions!!!