Friday, April 13, 2007

Hope restored

Thank you so much to all of you who've left reassuring comments telling me I'm not the only one who thinks a wedding doesn't have to cost more than my car and student loan debt combined (and then some).

It was frustrating to have three people in a row talk to me like I was some idiot pauper who was crazy enough to think people could still plan an entire wedding for less than what they'd spend on breast implants.

It's great to hear several of you have planned weddings for even less than what I'm hoping for. I just figured $10,000 was a more realistic goal for a wedding that will include a bar (not sure yet what type of arrangement we'll have -- open, alternating between open and cash, or offering a small part for free) and about 200 people.

It'll take some hunting, but I'm relieved to see I'm not the only person left on the planet who was blown away by those numbers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did my wedding for about $4,000 including my dress. Except I had a picnic at 11 a.m. with no open bar. There was food, though. Chick-fil-a food. Distributed in baskets with lots of bottled water and fruit and veggies. Honestly, it was kick ass.

There was also a string quartet and a horse-drawn carriage. No joke. It's all about figuring which elements are most important to you, scoring those, and then figuring out clever ways to take care of the other elements without looking cheap.

Liz said...

I missed yesterdays post and I see you've got lots of support on this subject already. I agree with everyone though.

We opted to have our wedding in my hometown in upstate NY where similar to small town OK, everything is cheap. The most expensive houses are still only in the $200k range.

Anyhow, because of that, we were able to have a VERY nice wedding for about $7500. My brother-in-laws girlfriend had been to a wedding the weekend before ours in Napa that cost about $50k and she said that our wedding was fancier and more fun. Granted, lots of our friends had to travel to get there, but it was well worth it.

Oh... and we did open bar on beer and wine only, and everyone loved it. Very few people wanted mixed drinks, so some people thought we had had a full open bar.