Thursday, April 12, 2007

Unlike Derek Zoolander, I CAN turn left. It's right that's the problem.

I can't believe how quickly you can fall behind on blogging. There's been a lot going on lately, wedding-planning-wise and other, and it's just a crazy time right now. Judging from the gaps between a lot of my regular reads' posts as well, I'm not the only one feeling that way.

Last week was a pretty slow week at work, which was awesome, since it gave me plenty of time to look around online for wedding stuff. I'd hoped to take off Friday, since K had a four-day weekend, but that didn't work out. He did make it in to Dallas Thursday night, so we went to lunch on Friday and he met several of my coworkers.

Friday night, we went out to dinner, then bought some champagne and headed back to my place. It was nice to have some relaxing time just the two of us. We started making some plans for the wedding, and it felt so good to finally be able to talk to him about our wedding and to be able to start putting a timeline on things.

We slept in on Saturday and had planned to get a few things done, but we just didn't want to get moving. We wound up hanging around my place all day in sweats and a t-shirt. Finally, at 7 p.m., I got in the shower so we could get ready to go out for dinner. We thought about going out after, but all my friends were busy or out of town, since it was Easter weekend. We had another night in, which was just fine.

Sunday, we went to church with ER. Her church is really pretty, and I wanted K to see it. Maybe it's a potential wedding ceremony church. After that, we went to lunch and then to get some training in for the 150-mile ride, which is less than a month away, by the way.

Before Sunday, I had yet to ride my bike at all. This meant I'd had no practice other than the quick ride we did around the back of the shop before we bought our bikes. I was scared and a bit shaky starting off our ride. We were riding around a really pretty lake with a great view of downtown. It was a bit cooler, but there were quite a few joggers, cyclists and others at the park. There were some big hills and some big curves, which made me very nervous. I was doing some serious braking on those, and K would say to me, "Stop using your brake!"

He'd ridden his bike several times -- both on his own and with one of his good friends, who just so happens to do triathlons (very well, I might add) and long bike rides pretty often. In fact, this guy travels all over the country doing triathlons and bike rides. (Freak!) So K was pretty much going from riding with Lance Armstrong to riding with a scared girl on her first ride without the training wheels.

It took us quite a while to go the 9 miles around the lake, but it was still pretty early when we had finished the trail. K had been pretty patient with me, but I could tell he was frustrated. We hadn't really gotten a workout in that round, so I suggested we go around again. Lucky for both of us, that lap went much better. We increased our time quite a bit, and I was getting less afraid on the hills. I was still braking, but not as much as before. K would ride in front of me, weaving his bike back and forth, but I was still not nearly ready to do that. Our speed averaged about 14 miles an hour, which isn't bad for a girl who just lost her training wheels.

Yesterday after work, I rode with four coworkers again. We went 22 miles. I was scared starting off again, but after about 10 minutes or so I was a little more comfortable with the ride. I even started getting more comfortable with left turns, although for some unknown reason, right turns still scare me.

I'm going riding tonight after work with another coworker. We'll probably do the same trail I did yesterday, so that'll be good. There are a couple of rides this weekend around Dallas, but I'm afraid I'll be doing things for the wedding, so I don't know that I'll make those. At least I'm getting rides in through the week.

I've decided that if I complete the first day of riding -- the first 75 miles -- I'll be happy and proud of myself for that. Riding 75 miles in one day is a pretty awesome feat for a girl who had never ridden a road bike four weeks before!

2 comments:

a tall sassy gal said...

Glad you got to experience the lake while riding your bike.

Man you sound like you are really doing good on the bike. Yay!

Courtney said...

I hear riding a bike is like...ummm... riding a bike. It'll all come back to you and be natural soon enough. Keep working on the right turns.