Friday, April 27, 2007

To bling, or not to bling?

As you know, I enjoy my gym time. I've blogged more than a few times about it. My gym time is something I take very seriously.

I have several pet peeves at the gym. A few have to deal with what people wear while they're working out:
  • I hate when girls wear sports bras with no shirts. What are you trying to accomplish?
  • I also hate it when girls totally color coordinate their entire outfits -- down to their eyeshadow. Yes, eyeshadow. I've seen girls show up at the gym with teal shirts and a hint of teal eyeshadow to match. Is that eyeshadow going to help her do more crunches? And why did she put on makeup to go to the gym?
  • I especially love it when girls wear big hoops or dangly earrings to the gym. How do you run on the treadmill like that? Can you honestly tell me your hair doesn't get caught in those things? I didn't think so ...
So as you can guess, I'm not big on wearing jewelry to the gym. It just doesn't go together. But now I find myself stuck on what to do.

I feel naked without my ring, and it's something I love to wear. The first time I went to the gym after K and I got engaged, I didn't wear it. I was going to be working out -- why did I need it?

The thing is, though, that I worry about it no matter where it is if it's not on my hand. What if someone broke into my apartment and stole it? What if I left the ring in my car and someone broke into it and stole it from there? What if I left it in a locker just while I'm working out and someone stole it from there?

The only place I feel safe leaving the ring (besides my finger) is my apartment. Even then, I worry a bit, and I still want it on my finger.

My band is platinum, so it isn't as easily damaged as gold. Any scratches could simply be buffed out. Besides, when I do any kind of lifting at the gym, I wear gloves so I don't have to worry about having calluses on my hands. Those would protect my ring.

I'm still stuck on what to do, though. So tell me -- do you wear your ring to the gym? And what about other places?

Do you take it off to shower or to put on lotion? Is it on when you're using hair gel or antibacterial hand cleaner? Do you swim with it on, or do you worry about the chlorine? Do you only take your ring off when you're cleaning it?

Any advice you have on the wearing of the ring would be greatly appreciated. I want this ring to be in tip-top shape for a long time. After all, I'm going to be wearing it for the rest of my life!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's a personal choice, really. Personally, I wear mine ALL. THE. TIME.

It's the only piece of jewelry that I CONSTANTLY have on. I wear it EVERYWHERE. It's important to me. I don't want some dumb-ass guy hitting on me in the gym because I don't have a ring on. Believe me: bound to happen.

The only time I take it off is - you guessed it - when I clean it. It comes with me when I'm water skiing, when I'm traveling (except 3rd world - then I'll only wear my band), when I'm showering. I wear it when I put on lotion, fixing my hair, cleaning the oven.

It's so easy to clean, and I clean it so often, that it's not a problem for me to do it. This way I ALWAYS know where it is.

Plus, because I clean it often (every couple of weeks, or AT LEAST everytime I go "out" somewhere nice), I get lots of compliments on how sparkly it is. Which I love. :)

Unknown said...

The only time I don't wear mine is when I'm traveling out of the country.

Although, I will admit, wearing it in the pool, ocean, gym, putting on lotion, etc. does bother my finger sometimes (when liquid gets trapped underneath it). I have to make sure I allow it to dry (by wiggling it around) when I wash my hands or use antibacterial gel.

Anonymous said...

Before I got married I used to say I would never take my band off or my college ring. But now that I'm married its different. My college ring was stolen from my apartment in a burglary and I got a second one now. I take my rings off and put them on my watch band now and store them in my "drawer" at home.

I guess over time I realized that I was married and a ring was just a symbol. Sure I would be devastated if I lost mine, but it's not the point.

As far as gym bling. Those are just gym ho's trying to pick up men.

~Jef

Liz said...

I wear mine to the gym (or did wear mine, before I got pregnant and let the gym go). I felt the same as you. I'd worry to much leaving it anywhere.

I do take my ring off at night and to shower because I occasionally have some sort of weird allergic reaction to it when the weather changes.

As Jes said, I think it's a personal preference.

California Girl said...

I wear mine all the time. I didn't think I would, because I get uncomfortable with jewelry on when I sleep, or workout, but honestly, I love my ring and want it on me at ALL TIMES. I also would worry about misplacing it, or getting forgetful about it if I didn't have it on all the time.

Anonymous said...

i take mine off when i shower (because it gets loose), when i put lotion on (because the lotion gets into the diamonds on my wedding band) and when i swim (because i'm paranoid of losing it). other than that, it's always on my finger.

Courtney said...

I wish I could hep you here. I REALLY wish I could. ugh.