Wednesday, April 04, 2007

What a small world!

When I started this blog just over a year ago, I simply wanted an outlet to express myself. I wanted to record my life and random thoughts, and if people happened to read it and find it interesting, it would make it that much more fun to do.

What I didn't expect was that through blogging, I would have a whole new bunch of friends scattered throughout the country. What I really didn't expect is that I'd meet one someday. But last night, that's exactly what I did. On purpose.

A Tall Sassy Gal and I met at about 6:00 for some Mexican food and margaritas. I got to the restaurant a bit early, so I asked the hostesses if a girl had been seated who was waiting for her other party. They told me I could feel free to look around, but I wasn't sure if I'd recognize my blog friend in real life. Sometimes, people don't look like their pictures when you meet them face to face. Luckily, TSG called me and told me she was just a mile or two away, so when I saw a really tall girl walking up a few minutes later -- looking exactly like TSG in her pictures on her blog -- I knew it was her.

What's funny is as I had stood in the restaurant waiting for her, I kept thinking our meeting felt something like a blind date, friend style. At the same time, I felt like I knew her already. When she walked in, she said pretty much the same thing: "It's so nice to meet you, but I feel like I know you already!"

I can't remember whose blog it was that led me to hers, but I quickly realized when I first read it that we had a lot in common: We both live in Dallas, and neither of us were particularly taken with the city. We were both in relationships that were at similar stages, with guys who were torturing us as we ever-so-patiently waited for a ring. We seemed to have a lot of the same opinions on things. We even got a Chi at the same time!

At the restaurant, we clicked instantly, and it was like we were old friends meeting up for dinner, rather than people who'd never met just hours before. We talked about our families, the men in our lives, our jobs and a billion other things. The biggest shocker: We work in the same building. On the same floor.

!!!

Seriously, in a city the size of Dallas, Texas, what are the odds of that? We talked nonstop for three hours! Once we both realized it was 9 p.m., we were shocked!

I'm thinking many great lunches are in our future. Maybe even a trip or two to my favorite piano bar, which -- not surprisingly, given how much we have in common -- TSG happens to be a big fan of as well.

It's just funny to see sometimes how crazy life can be and how small the world can seem.

7 comments:

L said...

Wow, that is SO cool. The same floor?? A similarly crazy thing happened to me. I was moving to D.C. and asked Big Sky Girl for advice and places to eat, etc. I didn't know if she wanted to meet, so I didn't bring it up. First day on the job, I saw her name (which is unique) on the extension list! My first day was her last (as an intern)! We worked for the same company! I emailed her a few days later and we ended up meeting for lunch - now we hang out almost every week.

Alyssa said...

That is so awesome! I wish we would have had time to meet while you were here. I guess you are just going to have to come back! Next time we are in Texas we will have to have a blog girls party. I know 4 girls there who are all connected through blog! tThat would be fun. Congradulations on the engagement! I am so excited and the whole story was so sweet!

Alyssa said...

That is so awesome! I wish we would have had time to meet while you were here. I guess you are just going to have to come back! Next time we are in Texas we will have to have a blog girls party. I know 4 girls there who are all connected through blog! tThat would be fun. Congradulations on the engagement! I am so excited and the whole story was so sweet!

Pink Sun Drops said...

Wow! What a great way to meet though - you probably know each other so much better than if you had just bumped into each other on your floor. How fun that you took the time to get together! Now you both have a fun friend in the city to get to know more! Yay!

I love L's story up there too. I've wanted to find a blogger in Austin, but just haven't come across any. How fun it must be to meet someone as passionate about blogging as you in your same city?!

Anonymous said...

The thing is that I rarely find ANY blogs written by bloggers in Dallas, other than people I knew long before they ever had a blog, and also besides you, though we haven't met yet (!). And yet this week? ATSG is the 2nd in Dallas I've heard of. The other is writesofspring.com.

Maybe Dallas is turning out to be a hip place to be, afterall!

a tall sassy gal said...

Posting about it now! It was so great to meet you. I can't wait to do it again!

Courtney said...

The same floor??? Woah baby! Awesome that you'll have a new lunch/happy hour buddy!!

And as far as that stranger/bff feeling you had - I felt the EXACT same way when I met Pink Sun Drops. It's so weird to have friends that you've never actually "met", huh. :)