Wednesday, April 04, 2007

No one told me how much time it takes to get engaged!

Life has been nonstop since K and I got engaged. We drove home from Norman Sunday afternoon, and the two of us were on the phone almost the whole time. During the breaks between phone calls or text messages (the breaks, by the way, never lasted longer than 5 minutes), we'd get a bit of conversation in about what had happened. For the most part, though, we were talking to everyone else about our exciting news.

We got back to Dallas at around 5. We were both exhausted, but still really excited about being engaged. I was looking at the clock, dreading the fact that K would have to leave in a mere hour or two. I didn't want him to leave. I felt like we hadn't even really gotten to spend any time just the two of us since we'd officially agreed to spend the rest of our lives together.

We were lying on the couch when K leaned toward my table for a minute to pick up his phone. Without telling me what he was doing, he made a couple quick phone calls. He arranged for someone else to lead PT the next morning so he could stay the night in Dallas and head back first thing in the morning.

It was so nice to know that we didn't have to get ready to say goodbye that night. We went to the movies and saw Blades of Glory, which was pretty funny. Afterward, we came back to my place and got some things done that we needed to do. K did laundry, and I, like the great blogger friend I am, posted pictures so you all would be up to date on my news. :)

Work was hectic Monday, but when I had free time, I was reading the dozens of emails of congratulations, replying to emails and answering text messages. Today, work was slow, so I had plenty of time to respond to the many emails.

People keep asking me all these questions: When's the big day? Are you guys having an engagement party? Where's the wedding going to be?

What's funny is I've talked more with other people about these things than I have with K! I'm still getting used to all of this -- not that I'm not loving every minute of it.

I have a fiance. I am someone's fiance. That's crazy!

I've had a few people ask me if it feels weird to have the ring on my finger. It doesn't -- at all. In fact, it feels normal, like it's been there all along. Many times before I had it, I'd reach my thumb toward my ring finger, expecting something to be there. I guess I've been mentally engaged -- if that makes any sense -- for quite a while. It's just great that when K and I talk about future plans or a wedding now, we're talking about it because it's in the works, not because we're just chatting about some unknown, far-into-the-future event. I've been so ready to be here for so long that it almost doesn't feel real that it's finally happened.

K and I have decided we're spending this weekend here relaxing -- just the two of us. We have a lot to talk about, and with all the excitement and craziness that's been our lives the last two days, I think it's just what we need.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For months before I got engaged (but knew it was coming), I did the whole mentally prepping for something to be on my left ring finger. It actually felt bare, like something was missing, just like you say. And when I became engaged, all of a sudden the ring was there, and it fit like the last piece of a puzzle.

a tall sassy gal said...

I thought about after you said you felt like it had always been there and you know sometimes I look down at my hand and feel the same way. hehehe

Courtney said...

My thumb ALWAYS rubs my ring finger looking for my non-existent ring. I feel so naked!!!

Again, I am so excited for you!