Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Maybe we should just get married in Vegas

Remember that wedding planner I was going to meet with last week? Well, he's a nice guy, but I just don't think it'll work out. He started our lunch meeting by telling me that we should move our budget total up to $15,000. He told me they offer a variety of options for how much help he would give, and the prices vary accordingly. He told me he'd either charge 15 percent or a flat fee of $1,500. That's a lot of money to me.

I was willing to consider it, though, if it meant planning this wedding would be easier and we could save money by having him help us. He's an event planner, right? He has to know more about venues and florists and caterers than I do. It's his job.

He asked me questions about what we wanted for our ceremony and reception. I explained to him that we wanted it to be simple and fun. I know those two words can mean very different things to different people, so I tried to elaborate to where he knew exactly what I meant. I was pleased when he summed it up with the words "elegant and classic, but simple." Clearly, he understood me.

He told me about this great venue in a great area of Dallas, and he told me to Google it when I got back to work. When I did, I could see that not only had he seriously misunderstood what I had in mind, but he actually may need a little more planning practice if this is what "elegant and classic, but simple" mean to him:























The room is fine. It's nice, but it's not my taste or K's. We want simple, and by that, I mean simple!

I figured if the planner could be so far off-base for what we had in mind for the venue, there's no telling what we could wind up with for flowers and our cake. It would be best, I decided, to just part ways. And hey, I'd save $1,500 too, right?

I emailed the lady at the venue I'd found that K and I both really liked. I told her to go ahead and draw up a contract. From our last meeting, I was able to get figures from her to find out that it would cost right around $7,650 for our reception venue and our catering. It meant we'd be a little over budget once we threw in flowers and everything else, but we wouldn't go too far over. I could live with that. It was better than immediately deciding we'd have to spend $15,000, only to just as quickly hand over $1,500 of that to some guy who thought we needed clear chairs.

Today, I got the contract back from the lady at our chosen venue. I opened it, eager to see what the catering and site would cost us. When I saw all those digits on the "Total" line, I wanted to cry. I almost did.

Just to the right of "Total Value" was a number just a little higher than $10,550. This woman told me my optimistic budget of $10,000 would be just fine. She said I might have to go "a little" over it, but I was okay with that. That was fine.

To me, though, that did not mean it was okay to spend more than $10,000 on the reception alone!

Does no one understand the concept of SIMPLE?!

7 comments:

a tall sassy gal said...

Awww I wish I knew what to tell you. I just think to be at the price you want you might have to sacrifice things. But why should you listen to me I am not even at the wedding planning stage yet... :)

Anonymous said...

That place is beautiful, but I bet it costs a very shiny penny. Nay quarter. God. Have you thought of an outdoor wedding? Maybe the arboretum? Or there's this great place called Eddie Deans which rents out to large parties. It's a little bit country and BBQ if you know what I mean, but PLENTY of room to "boot scoot." Or be wacky and do it at the zoo!

Courtney said...

!?!?!?!? What the heck was he thinking??? That place is neither simple nor classic. It's modern and overdone if you ask me. Ick!!!!

So not your style.

Now, having said that - I know it sucks, but if you REALLY want to spend under $10,000 you probably will have to sacrifice a few things - like maybe have a smaller wedding?? Or have it on the beach or other public location???

Food and Venue seem to ALWAYS be expensive. Anywhere from $50 to $100 per person. UGH. I had some friends that did their WHOLE wedding themselves. She bought a dress off the rack that didn't need altering ($800), they had the rehersal dinner at their house and their mom's cooked for everyone, and they even went to Sam's Club to buy all of the flowers and made their own center pieces and bouquets. They STILL spent over $20,000. I have NO IDEA how.

And wait till you try to find a photographer... $1500 - $4000, unless you have a friend do it.

Weddings these days - SO PRICEY! It's because they KNOW you want your day to be *perfect* and that you're so stressed out that you'll pay anything! They totally take advantage. grrrrr.

Anonymous said...

you should call her back and ask her why the price went up $3k from what she originally quoted you. Dude. That sucks.

Stacey Brandow said...

If you really want the reception there then you may have to cut out a few things, here's a couple of ideas...I had cakes as my center pieces. This took care of the cake and the center pieces all in one deal. I got the cakes from Sam's Club for 9.99 a cake. The cakes were a nice size too. I got a lot of compliments on that too! I did not have any flowers at the church. I'm not sure where you are getting married but we got married in a huge catholic cathedral so I just thought it was so gorgeous already, it didn't need flowers. Then my mom knew someone who could make bouquets and bouteneers (sp) and I got all of those for only 300. Ask around, you'll be surprised who will want to help and who can do things you didn't know they could. I bought my dress on clearance, not really on purpose it just turned out that way but keep that in mind. Mine was only 300 with alterations. And finally, I burned my own cd party favors. The were only a dollar a piece. I was lucky though because I have a good friend who is a graphic designer so she could help me with the covers. Just another idea to make your own party favors or not have them at all. People barely take them anyway, I had a ton of cd's left sitting on the tables and then some people really loved it. This is too long now..sorry! ;)

Anonymous said...

Shit. What is that venue, the freaking W?

I think I've said it before, but I planned my wedding around a budget of $5k. And I personally loved it. If you need any tips, let me know. Have y'all set a date yet?

Anonymous said...

On my first go around at being engaged I was offered a flat $10K to elope. Looking back, I should have taken it.

Now the second time around, I wanted my wife to have the wedding she never got to have.

I know some people who are going to elope.

~Jef