Thursday, May 24, 2007

Let the countdown begin!

One year from this very date, I am hoping with all my heart that I'll be waking from a wonderful night's sleep to go get my hair done, get a pedicure, spend some time with my best girlfriends and count down the hours until the biggest moment of my life.

If K doesn't get deployed in November, then a year from this date will be our wedding date. A year from today, all the stress over choosing a venue, a florist, a DJ and a photographer; a dress; what type of bar we have; and every other single tiny detail that we'll have to plan won't matter. What will be most important is the fact that K and I will (finally) be husband and wife.

That makes the frustration from my last post easier to handle. And so did all the comments and advice people left. I really appreciated that.

I'm still torn on what to do about the whole thing. I mean, yeah, it is just one day, and $15,000 is a lot to spend for something that lasts only a few hours.

At the same time, it's a big few hours. Most of us girls wonder from a very early age what that day will be like. The venues and vendors know that, and that's exactly where they get you. I talked to K about this last night, and he had a great point: "We don't have to impress our friends and families. They're not coming for the wedding. They're coming to see us." So true.

Those one-foot blue bands will look lovely around the tops of our white tables, but they're not really going to matter to the 150 to 200 people who come to our wedding.

I've decided I'm going to email the lady back at our venue and ask her to remove the extras she added to our contract, which is what brought on the increase (She added the blue bands at $3 a table; some flowers for the centerpieces, which I said nothing about adding; and some yellow napkins for the bargain price of $400. I think I'll just tell all of our guests to wear long sleeves. Okay, not really.). We're going to start with the basics and go from there.

So here's what we've planned so far:

  • Date: May 24, 2008

  • Colors: royal blue and light yellow

  • Location: Dallas (I would love to have our wedding in Norman, since it's one of my favorite places in the world. People could see where we got engaged, the OU campus and even the OKC bombing memorial, which means a lot to me as an Oklahoman. Unfortunately, it just doesn't make sense to get married there. It's already a five-hour drive for K to get to Dallas, so we'd have to drive three more to get to Norman. Since I live in Dallas, it makes sense to have it here. And with all the people who will be traveling to the wedding, Dallas is a great location because it's got a huge airport and has a lot to do.)

  • Wedding party: We're going to have 10 groomsmen and five bridesmaids. K is in the Army. He's been stationed in Korea for a year, Iraq for six months, Afghanistan for four months, Oklahoma for three years and now Louisiana for three. That's a lot of people. Plus, he has his childhood friends and his college friends. We could easily have 30 groomsmen. We have 10 because K has a brother and eight close guy friends. I wanted my brother to be a groomsmen, so we added two more, which is perfect because it means I can have one more bridesmaid. On that end, I have a total of six good girlfriends. These are the girls I can tell anything to and talk to most often. The first four already know they're going to be bridesmaids. They'd be confused if I didn't ask them. The fifth is Rebecca. I think I'll talk to her about it when I see her this weekend in Austin. I think she'll be flattered that I'm asking her and won't be expecting it. The sixth good friend I'll ask to help with the guest book and things like that. I'll ask my cousin (the one who lived in Hawaii) to do that as well. That gets everyone I want included.

  • Bridesmaids dresses:



    (imagine it with a light yellow sash instead of green)






            • Flowers: yellow roses and blue hydrangeas
            • Dinner: buffet. We're trying to choose between Italian and BBQ. Italian is obviously a big part of K's life (since he's half-Italian). BBQ is a big part of mine, with my dad and all. Before every dance, recital or big event in my life, I had to stop off at my dad's store so he could see me and take pictures. My grandparents could see me that way also, and so could the employees of the store, who were like family since we all worked together like that. I used to complain that I always had to smell like BBQ at everything because of the store. It would just be fitting to have BBQ at my wedding! The wedding planner guy said we could do both -- have BBQ and potato salad served for the meal, and have Italian hors d'oeuvres like Italian wedding soup and something else Italian at the end of the meal. They totally don't go together, but that's kind of the fun part. I think probably what we'll do, though, is just have BBQ for the rehearsal dinner and Italian for the wedding buffet. I don't want my dad, his girlfriend and my grandparents to have to eat BBQ at my wedding when they're around it every day. Plus, since it's not my dad's, it won't be that great anyway. :)

            That's pretty much everything we have planned right now. I'm excited about all those things.


            For all you married people, though -- especially those of you in Dallas! -- if you have any advice, feel free to leave a comment. Feel free to leave a really long comment. And if you have so much advice you can't even get it all in one comment, feel free to email me: soonerbride@hotmail.com

            6 comments:

            Anonymous said...

            Just barely over two years ago, I got married in Dallas. It was a beautiful wedding, and I can promise it didn't cost anywhere near $10,000. If you want the name of a good florist and cake person, e-mail me (address on my blog) and I'll get those to you. I suggest making a list of your priorities--what you will not budge on no matter what--and finalize your budget based on that. Be willing to find cheaper alternatives for everything else. We saved a lot of money because we wanted a church wedding, and my parents' church was gorgeous--and we could do it there for practically nothing. Just remember that this is your wedding, and impressing people is not your priority; making a wedding that is memorable to you and K is all that matters.

            Beulah Sorensen said...

            The more you get into the wedding planning process the easier it will be to figure out what is REALLY important to spend money on and what you can let go. Just remember to enjoy it! I firmly believe that every couple should plan a wedding together because the process teaches you so much about the other person. Such a fun, crazy, exhausting, wild ride...

            Anonymous said...

            The florist who handles your bouquets can help you with the centerpieces. HOWEVER, since you're having an evening wedding, and since people will be sitting at the tables EATING, I would suggest going with something low-key. Don't have your florist do it, and you'll save money.

            I was recently at an evening wedding and took note of the centerpieces. They were simple and probably didn't cost much. On top of the white table cloth of each table were two pieces of colored satin cloth (in the bride's colors). They were about two-foot squares each, edges trimmed with pinking shears, and were layered on top of one another so that the colors of the bottom piece poked out from beneath the top piece. (Does that make sense?) On top of that she had a vase with flowers.

            You could buy or rent vases/bowls somewhere cheap to keep costs down. Keep an eye out on Craigslist for people selling their stuff.

            Maybe put a bowl of lemons submerged in water (to fit the blue/yellow theme)? Or go to Michaels or Garden Ridge or wherever, buy some silk flowers, and submerge those in water. (I really am liking the flower-submerged-in-water look right now.) Or obviously, you could do it with real flowers.

            Get small tealights and place them around the centerpiece. Tealights last 3-4 hours, and most receptions aren't longer than that and tealights are ridiculously cheap so you'll get your money's worth.

            Italian food should be easy to cater - does the venue require you to use their caterer? If not, get quotes from local Italian restaurants (a lot of times the locally owned restaurants are cheaper than the chains) and see if they could cater it for you.

            See if you can find someone who is starting a catering business that will be willing to give you a price break because that person is so new to the industry. That's how I got my flowers - I got them at cost and paid a ridiculously low fee for labor.

            If you need help with research, you know how bored I am. I'm happy to lend a hand.

            The Unprocessed Project said...

            I got married a year ago this weekend. I can tell you that it's a great weekend to have your anniversary because it's always a holiday! We were worried about rain, but instead were faced with 100 degree temps (in Kansas) and high winds. Who would have guessed?!!

            One thing that we splurged on was our pictures. I can tell you that I am SOOOO glad we did because they are priceless. Seriously, nothing else really matters that much (except your dress, of course!), but you just can't beat great pictures of the day. You won't remember much, so it's nice to have them to look at.

            I love the flower submerged in water look and it's nice because you really only need a couple flowers. I have seen gerbers or calla lillies done that way.

            Good luck with everything - it will be here and done before you know it!

            Liz said...

            I think you can do it for less! We had a friend who went to a $30,000 wedding the weekend before ours, which cost under $10,000 and she said our wedding was 10 times more fun and it was equally as glamorous.

            I love candles as centerpieces. I honestly don't think many people uses flowers for centerpieces anymore. I second the craigslist advise. If people use it a lot there, you can find some great deals.

            We had italian at our reception and everyone loved it. They said the chicken parm was so much more tasty than the beef or chicken entrees that you usually get!

            As for the pictures, we saved there because we used a family friend and I ended up unhappy with our professional shots. I still wouldn't splurge, but I would invest in someone good. Honestly though, my favorite pictures were the ones the guests took at the tables with the disposable cameras. I have some amazing ones from those!

            a tall sassy gal said...

            Hey girl. I am just catching up on blogs and I don't even know that I will finish reading all the posts tonight.

            All this sounds great. I love the dress with a yellow sash. Also I think you could lemons submerged in water. I think I told you my sister did lemons and limes. It looks very pretty. And your wedding party is huge! :) Sometimes it is hard to just pick. That is why my sister had 10!

            I really think you can get the cost down to wear you want it. Sounds like you are moving in the right direction already!