Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Note to self: Remember this post!

Sunday night, I got home from Louisiana at about 11:30. By the time I'd showered, gotten ready for bed and gotten things done to get ready for the week, it was 1:30 a.m. when I crawled into bed. Last night, I didn't get home until 11 (I'll tell you why tomorrow when I can post pictures), which meant it was another late night.

Tonight, I had several errands to run after work, so I didn't get home until after 8. I feel like I've been at my apartment so little lately that I've barely had time to clean it (When I say "clean," just so you know, I mean dusting, vacuuming and sanitizing. I keep a pretty clean apartment. I don't want you to think I'm living in a pigsty). I needed to get to the gym, but I found myself with a sudden overwhelming desire to organize and clean tonight.

I started organizing a few things as I talked to K on the phone. I told him I knew I should be going to the gym, but I just felt like I had so much stuff to do at home. I asked his opinion on what I should do, which I do pretty often. He asked when the last time was that I went to the gym. "Last Wednesday," I said to him, which I actually just now realized was a lie -- it was last Thursday (hey, that's a little better!). "You should go to the gym," he said. "When I don't want to go, once I get there, I'm always glad I went."

With that, I decided I'd go to the gym.

Okay, that's kind of an exaggeration. There was a little more of a discussion to it, since I really needed a push to go, but I realized K was right. By then, it was 9 p.m., so I didn't want to work out for very long. I decided I'd just do a good 30 minutes on the elliptical. It seemed like it would be a better use of my short workout time than the leg circuit I'd planned on doing originally, since I'd get a more complete workout.

Those 30 minutes on the elliptical went by pretty quickly, and I think they were much better spent than if I had been organizing my apartment.

I wanted to get this recorded on my blog so the next time I'm having one of those I really don't feel like going to the gym nights, maybe I'll remember this post, suck it up and head to the gym for some cardio. After all, like K said, once I'm into my workout, I'll be glad I went.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree - usually when I don't feel like going to the gym (which, is like, ALWAYS) i just tell myself: "I'll go use the elliptical for 15 minutes. If I still don't feel like being there after that, I will give myself permission to leave."

And like always ("always" is a relative term, since I just started back to the gym recently), I never do.

a tall sassy gal said...

We have been going to the gym at work and I love it! It is so easy to go straight after work there. No excuses when I get home to say I don't want to go.