Monday, July 23, 2007

Evidently food has been a big deal to me the last few days

My brother didn't make it into Dallas Thursday night, which meant I got to go to sleep early. That was good, since K and I went to happy hour with ER and a couple other friends. ER had just gotten back from a month-long vacation to Asia, so it was cool to hang out with her again and hear all of her stories from her trip.

The Mexican restaurant we went to for happy hour is one that K and I love to go to. We'd never been for happy hour, though, and were surprised at the special and how much they don't make the drinks like it's happy hour: The house margarita is only $2, and it tastes like it has $8 worth of alcohol in it! Most of us had two, so we stuffed ourselves, then sat around for a while longer drinking plenty of water so we would all be fine to drive home.

When we got to my apartment, K and I were way too stuffed to go to the gym, so we laid on the couch watching TV. I crashed in the middle of the movie we were watching, and I only woke up at 11-ish because my brother was calling to tell us he'd made it to Atlanta, but he was stuck there for the night. I guess Atlanta had had some severe weather, and my brother's flight to Atlanta had been delayed enoughthat he'd missed his connecting flight to Dallas. He had to spend the night in the airport and go on standby for a 9 a.m. flight. That didn't work, so he wound up on the 11 a.m. flight to Dallas.

That actually worked out well for us, because K and I had lunch plans with Heather and B. It was a fun lunch! K really liked both of them. We all decided we'd have to go out again soon, but for dinner and happy hour, when we can stay out longer than a lunch break.

After lunch, K picked up my brother from the airport, and he drove my car to Oklahoma. Luckily, the flight delay didn't ruin my brother's surprise of visiting. My dad said when my grandma saw him, she started crying. :)

K and I headed up to OK after I finished working. We had the best steak dinner in the world, courtesy of my dad, the butcher, and we just relaxed for the rest of the night.

Saturday, we had my dad's famous barbecue for lunch (I've gotta get all that stuff while I'm at home!), hung out in the pool for a bit that afternoon, and went to my favorite Mexican restaurant back home for dinner. K and I woke up early Sunday (early for the weekend, anyway) and headed back to Dallas. We had a few errands to run, which I'll blog about later, and we ate at Fuddruckers, which is another favorite of mine and K's. We relaxed the rest of the evening before K left.

After that, I went to the gym, and my trip led me to the conclusion that 6 p.m. on Sunday is the best time to go. It was practically empty, and since my evening was free, I was in a total workout mood. I ran 5 miles on the elliptical, and then I spent another 15 minutes on the bike. I burned over 700 calories, which was a good thing after the weekend I had just had. It felt so good to be doing all that cardio that I really kind of wanted to keep going, but I had to meet a friend to decorate a coworker's desk for her birthday. Hopefully that gym mood is still hanging around tonight!

1 comment:

a tall sassy gal said...

It was a great lunch.

Now we need to start planning a dinner outing!