Monday, July 09, 2007

Now THAT's the way to leave your reception!

I swear, this is the year of weddings for me. And Saturday was the day of weddings for the entire country. Thirty-five thousand weddings took place yesterday, and I found myself at one of them. It was a guy friend of mine from college. I hadn't seen him in a long time, and I was really surprised I was invited to the wedding since it had been so long. It was cool, though, to see a lot of the people I've seen lately at other weddings this summer, along with some fresh faces who had missed the others.

To really get the full effect of the 07/07/07 date, the ceremony didn't start until -- you guessed it -- 7 p.m. The wedding was a Catholic wedding, but there was no mass at the ceremony, so it wasn't quite as long. Good thing, because by the time the bridal party made it to the reception (which was at least 20 minutes from the ceremony), we were starving. I looked at my watch as we stood in the endless line for the buffet. It was 9:40, which is way too late to be patient about waiting for dinner.

Our wedding favors at each of our chairs was a lotto ticket -- the Lucky 7 game. The girl next to me won $27. Me? Nadda. The cocktail napkins said "Lucky in Love" and had three sevens on them. Definitely a themed wedding.















































The bartenders were a little stingy on the wine. We started joking about how the not-even-half-full-wine-glasses weren't even worthy of a full "Cheers!" Even a "Ch!" was a little much for them, but that was the toast we went with. You can't really cut it off any more than that. (And yes, these are our glasses as the bartender poured them.)















Other than those unique differences, the wedding and reception were pretty standard. Until it was time for the bride and groom to leave.

At 11:20 p.m., the bride and groom were rushing to say their goodbyes to everyone. All of us guests made two lines for them to walk through as they made their big exit. Instead of the standard limo, though, or even a fire truck or insanely expensive or bizarre car, they hopped into a helicopter. Yes, a helicopter.

We all cheered as it lifted a few feet above the ground, then turned so the side of the copter where the bride and groom were seated was facing us. We all waved at them and cheered again as it lifted higher and headed over our heads. They did one quick (and by that I mean fast) flyby before disappearing into the night sky.

It was awesome. I totally told K we have to find a helicopter now (just kidding -- unless you know a pilot!).
































Rocking the windblown look after the helicopter left.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I forget how I got here the first time, but I've been reading for a while. This is going to sound like a random question (apologies for that, and ignore/delete as you see fit) but what do you use on your hair? It's gorgeous, and as someone with curly hair, I just can't keep myself from asking. ;)

-Lindsay

my life is brilliant said...

Lindsay, whoever you are, you're one of my new favorite people! :) Thanks for the compliment!

I use a lot of different things in my hair at one time. My mom used to tell me that she wanted me to tell her which hair products I was going to switch to so she could by stock in them beforehand. lol I'm still trying to find an awesome combo, so if you have any tips, feel free to share!

One product that has made a big difference is Rusk's Smoother leave-in conditioner. I also like this pomade that Rusk has called Being Undressed. I get both of them at Ulta, and I get the conditioner when they're having their liter sale. I think it's supposed to start in the next day or two.

Other than that, I go back and forth between different gels and mousses. I don't towel dry my hair -- I just kind of squeeze as much of the water out as I can. Then, I use the leave-in conditioner, comb it out and then use some kind of mousse. I've been using an Aussie mousse for a while, but I'm trying a Rusk kind now, and I just bought an Herbal Essences mousse I'm anxious to try too -- especially since the Rusk mousse is so expensive!

After the conditioner and mousse, I dry my hair with a diffuser until it's just damp. Then, I do other things (like figure out what I'm going to wear or brush my teeth) as it dries more. After that, I use the pomade and some sort of gel to finish.

(Sorry to all you non-curly-haired people out there who had to just read my entire haircare regimen.) :)

a tall sassy gal said...

That is cool way to leave a wedding.