Wednesday, July 25, 2007

I've gotta get used to rolling with the (changing) plans

K called me yesterday while I was at work. I could hear in his voice that he was upset about something. "What's wrong?" I asked him.

"Do you want the bad, or the worst?"

I felt my heart start racing, and I could feel my eyes starting to sting. "I ... I don't know," I said. My mind starting going crazy: Did he get word early on whether he deploys? Is he leaving early (remember last year, he had less than two weeks' notice before Afghanistan)? Is he leaving now? He's supposed to spend August training, so we won't get to see each other -- again -- for our birthdays. Are they going straight into training, meaning I don't see him until September?

K proceeded to tell me that they'd be working straight through the weekend. It wouldn't make sense for me to drive to Louisiana as planned, since he'll be working. Which means we won't get to see each other.

I was relieved that I had to wait a mere two weeks as opposed to a month and a half or having to get ready for a year without him. Obviously, I was sad that I won't get to see him this weekend, but I was much more relieved that it wasn't as bad as I had thought.

Now that I'm looking at a weekend in Dallas instead of in the car, I've started planning things I'm going to get done:
  • Dress shopping with ER and a coworker.
  • Making care packages -- and lots of cookies -- for K's friends (who've become my friends) who are deployed.
  • Making shirts.

I've found a few websites with military support shirts, and some are pretty cute. I found one that I really like the idea of, but I want a different style than what the site offers. My solution? I'll make my own! I already have plenty of experience doing it anyway. And just two months from last Sunday, I can totally rock this shirt:


2 comments:

s said...

hahah love the shirt!

L said...

haha cute!