Wednesday, January 02, 2008

These shoes are made for winnin'

Tonight is a big night for the Sooners, so getting ready for work today didn't involve me standing in my closet, staring at my wardrobe and wondering what I was going to wear. Since it's Game Day, there was no question about what I would be sporting today: my Sooners jersey.

I had bought a new pair of tennis shoes last weekend for running, and I thought today would be the perfect opportunity to break them in a bit. I pulled them out of the shoe box and adjusted the laces. Just as I went to slide the first shoe on my foot, it clicked that these were brand new shoes, so obviously there has not been a Sooner football game where I've worn them. And true sports fans know better than to throw off the alignment of the stars in the universe by introducing a new garment on the same day as a big game.

Immediately, I pulled the shoe off my foot and tossed it back into my closet with disgust. I reached for my trusty old tennis shoes -- the ones that had been with me for the entire football season. As I tied their familiar laces for the millionth time, I shook my head at my lack of focus that could have placed the entire blame squarely on my shoulders if the game doesn't go our way.

I can retire these shoes tomorrow. Tonight, they've got a job to do!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tee hee. I am superstitious like that, even though 70% of the time those lucky [insert item here] don't do the work I want them to.

Good luck to your team!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about the sooners!!!!
:(