Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Maybe I should've been the one charging for my first massage

Saturday I used my gift certificate from K for month two of my spa treatment. I went with the massage again, but this time I had a different masseuse. Again, I had no preference for a girl or a guy, so again, I got a male massage therapist.

This guy was really nice. He's a newlywed too -- he was actually married the weekend of my first massage. He reminded me of a couple guys I know, so I was comfortable with him. Plus, with one massage under my belt, I was more relaxed since I actually had some idea of what to expect.

There were a few differences in the massage techniques of December Guy and January Guy. December Guy massaged my face more at the end, while January Guy spent more time on my scalp. January Guy used some aromatherapy stuff to help relieve the tension in my shoulder blades, but December Guy used nothing other than massage oils. Both spent a lot of time around my shoulder blades and mentioned how many knots I had (it's stressful having K overseas!).

There was one pretty big difference, though, that I couldn't help but notice.

When January Guy went to massage my legs, he only uncovered my leg. My gluteal area remained under the blanket. January Guy spent very little time massaging my gluteals, and when he did, his hands were over the blanket. There was never any contact between his skin and my derrière. And it was certainly never exposed -- all completely opposite from my experience with December Guy!

When I told Jeremy about this particular difference in technique, he pointed out that December Guy knew it was my first massage, so he knew I had no idea what to expect -- and I'd have no idea if he (or the blanket) went a bit beyond the usual massage.

The papers all clients must sign before their first visit to this spa inform you that the gluteals are part of the massage, unless you specify against it. But the paper says nothing about whether they'll be uncovered during that portion.

I guess we'll just have to see how February Masseuse handles that area (literally).

3 comments:

Katrina said...

First, what an awesome gift K gave you! I love, love, LOVE having professional massages, a rare treat on our budget. My first one was also the best, because I was "helping" my friend Dave practice; he was in the middle of getting his certification. Since I knew and trusted him already, there wasn't any weirdness or wondering if the hands were going to wander somewhere unwelcome.

Since then, I've enjoyed all my massages except one. Nothing bad happened or anything; my creepy alarm was just going off (rightly or wrongly) and I had a hard time relaxing. It was a one-man operation that time, and when I expressed that I didn't feel comfortable being there alone (and naked) with a guy I didn't know, he called his wife (they lived nearby) to come sit in the waiting room while I had the massage. Which was nice of him. But I still couldn't relax. Not sure what happened there.

Anyway, I've been covered and uncovered when it comes to that part of the massage. I never really thought about it, but I guess since they keep half covered up, I never felt too exposed.

L said...

Whoaa, I can't believe he touched your butt just because he knew you wouldn't know the difference. I would actually be a little ticked! I've only had a couple of massages, but reading about it makes me want another!

a tall sassy gal said...

B thinks guys should not be giving massages and just for the reason you just stated. So I will keep this post to myself. :)