Tuesday, January 15, 2008

In the doghouse

Piper's had a bit of trouble with sep@ration anx!ety lately. If I walk away from my desk to where she can't see me, she immediately starts whining or barking, and a lot of times, she continues barking until I come back.

For a while there a few months ago, she was doing really well at this. Not so much lately. And I got an email about it this morning saying several of my co-workers have complained.

If you have any tips for how to break her of this, PLEASE share!!!

(I don't act excited to see her after being away from her. I ignore her for a while so she's not rewarded for any barking or whining she does while I'm gone. She's not getting the hint from that alone.)

3 comments:

Morgan said...

I'm sorry Piper's having a hard time. I don't have any tips on how to help her, but I'm curious what you do for a living. What a great job that you get to bring your dog to work!

Pink Sun Drops said...

This is going to sound really mean, but it's what a dog trainer told me a long time ago. A little bit of vinegar and water in a spray bottle and spray it in their face when they whine. They hate the spray, and the vinegar is just enough to make them realize they really hate it. Okay, now that I'm typing it out it sounds REALLY mean, but it works.

Paige said...

Citrus collar for barking? Sprays a little citrus stuff in their face when they bark - along the same lines of the vinegar trick mentioned above.