Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Conquering Koko Crater

At 1,208 feet, the hike up Koko Crater offers fantastic view of the southeast side of Oahu. It also offers a pretty nice workout. K and I were both first-timers on this hike. 

K and I, ready to tackle the crater behind us.



Starting off. That's a LOT of stairs!



"Do I really have that many left?"



This part was a bit of a mind game, since the bottom drops out here. I'm pretty sure I looked like a total wuss crawling up this part while a couple insane guys went running past me on it like it was nothing. Weirdos.



After I got past clinging to the "bottomless" part, I got quite a bit ahead of K. 



Once we reached the top, the view was fantastic!





K resting patiently while I took 19 billion pictures. (I HAD to get some good ones after that hike!)




The way down was a lot scarier than the trip up, thanks to the uneven (definitely not ADA-approved) "stairs." Once again, kids were flying by me (those punks do that to me a lot when I'm on my way down things!), but I made it down. Both K's and my legs were shaking by the time we were finished! 

Cool-looking tree on the way down.



We totally kicked this crater's ass!

1 comment:

Pink Sun Drops said...

How did I miss that hike when looking up hikes on Oahu?! Love it!