Thursday, April 08, 2010

Holy crap, I'M playing an organized sport!

I've never been an athletic person. Sure, I run and even cycle from time to time, but I always go for distance rather than speed. I lift weights at the gym, but that's not quite the same.

When it comes to playing sports, I'm as awkward, clumsy and useless as they come. I wasn't the kid who got picked last in gym class (we had some REALLY unathletic people in my class), but I was almost always in the last few picked. My only attempt at organized sports was in the 6th grade, when I tried softball. I managed to break and jam my finger catching a grounder during a scrimmage, so my mom made me quit so I wouldn't ruin my "music career" (I took piano lessons and was in my first year of band).

I hated playing sports. It was nerve wracking, and I felt like the Spotlight of Suckage was on me the entire time. When I was at OU, the ultimate frisbee team actually tried to recruit me, but I steered clear (They only wanted me for my hair anyway. I'm pretty sure it was a prerequisite to have long, curly hair to be on the team.)

So imagine how unlikely it would be for me to try a team sport. My new friend (still need a name for her!) plays on a kickball team along with a couple of her other friends I've met. They invited K and I to join their team.

We did. Our first practice was Wednesday night.

As soon as we got to the practice field, that old gym class feeling swept over me again:
Oh God, what am I doing? Why did I sign up for this? This is a terrible idea. I'm going to suck, and everyone's going to know. I'm never going to get on base. I'm going to look like an idiot. I hope they don't put me on the field; I'll never catch that ball. And if I have to throw it? WHY AM I HERE?!!!


I tried to calm my nerves with a little self-deprecating humor as I talked to K. He kept giving me weird looks; he hadn't seen this side of me before. (The only "sports" we've attempted together are a goofy bowling game and miniature golf once with just the two of us. I'm fine making an ass of myself with him. It's the strangers I'm worried about. And yes, I know that doesn't make sense.)

Eventually, I had to take my turn to kick. We were supposed to bunt the ball. Not that I had any clue how to do that. When the pitcher released the ball in my direction, the world turned over to torturous slow-motion. I connected my toes to the ball, and it went straight into the air. The catcher ran forward and waited for it to fall straight into his arms.

Yup, sure enough, I suck. Faaaantastic. Bet the coach is happy he made room for me on the team now.


I took my place at the end of the batting line. My next kick went the same way, only this time, the shortstop caught it (yay for going farther?). K gave me a few tips. On my next bunting attempt, I actually made it to first base! After three more people kicked, I made it safely home (barely!).

When it was my turn to try a field position, the coach sent me to second base. I stayed there for a few plays -- thankfully none that involved work on my part. The coach told me to move to third base. I took my position and continued praying quietly that no plays would come my way. Of course that couldn't happen.

We had a player on first and second base when someone else went up to kick. The pitcher recovered the ball. "Throw to third!" the coach yelled.

Oh God! 

It was slow-motion again.

Please catch it, please catch it, pleasecatchit pleasecatchit pleasecatchit!!!

I took a deep breath, winced, and awkwardly stretched my arms in front of me. The ball sank right into them.

"YES!" I squealed involuntarily.

My teammates laughed. K cheered for me from the batter's box.

A few plays later, someone kicked the ball into the air right toward me. The pressure was on again, and I somehow managed to catch the ball.

Oh my gosh! Maybe I don't suck royally at this game!

Of course, I did manage after those two feats to miss a throw that would've allowed me to take a runner out. Like the song says, though, two out of three ain't bad.

The coach told K I was doing well at third, so they're going to keep me there. I'm happy with that decision! It's a nice position that sees a little action from time to time, but it's not too much pressure. (K, on the other hand, is a rockstar who will be playing catcher. He can handle the job and the pressure.)

Our first game is next week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I NEVER would've guessed that you didn't think of yourself as athletic! Good job on your first time out! :) :)

L said...

The macadamia nut tour looks super fun! I love the headbands, wouldn't have taken mine off. :)

And I am with you on the athletic thing. I stay fit, and I enjoy golf and tennis (although not great at the latter) and slalom skiing, but I feel somewhat awkward and slow in other sports. But I also was convinced to join a kickball team! I'm not sure how it will go, but I know everyone on my team, so it should be tons of fun even if I'm awful.