Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Long time, no post

Things have been pretty crazy lately. Last week, I stayed later at work so I could leave early on Friday to spend more time with K. When I went home at night, I was doing things I needed to take care of before the weekend.

I gave K his birthday present. I got him a cute little suede photo album from Target that won't take up too much room in his bag, so it'll be easy to pack. I put some of my favorite pictures of us in there and some goofy, fun pics of us and of him with his buddies. Each page had a little memo line, so I wrote messages or comments about the pictures. He had also just bought a portable DVD player, and the battery only lasts 3 hours. I got him a new battery for it that lasts over 8 hours. His plane ride is about 13 hours, and he'll be travelling all day today, so I'm sure he'll get some use out of it.

I thought yesterday would be a really tough day, since it's the last time I'll see K until at least Thanksgiving. I was surprised, though -- it wasn't bad. So far it's just been normal. Every time I go to Louisiana to see him, I come back either Sunday night or some time Monday, depending on when I have to be at work. I was still able to talk to him on the phone yesterday and last night.

It'll probably hit me most on Thursday because I won't get to look forward to spending the weekend with him. It may even hit me a little today because it'll start getting harder to talk to him.

He flew out of Houston this morning and is supposed to land in Baltimore this afternoon. Then, he flies to Germany, where he'll get the rest of his information. He's not sure if he'll be there a few days or if he'll go straight to Afghanistan.

My birthday is coming up on Thursday, and I'm not really excited about it. I really wanted to be able to celebrate with K this weekend, but that's not gonna happen. I think it's a good thing, though, that he's leaving so close to my birthday after all. This way, my friends were already planning on getting together, and we will be hanging out to celebrate rather than to try to keep me from being sad.

My friend Rachel, who I've known since kindergarten and grew up with and roommed with all through college, is coming to visit on Friday. I haven't seen her since OU-Texas last year, which was October 8. It's the longest we've ever gone without seeing each other. In fact, I still have her birthday present (Her birthday is in February) and her Christmas present.

So I'm looking forward to those things, at least. I'll post pictures and stories about the weekend hopefully later tonight.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

:( Ugh, sucks that K is gone... but I'm glad you have your girlfirends to celebrate with. He'll be back before you know it!

s said...

it is going to go so quickly and it is perfect timing that you'll have your best friend around this weekend. goodbyes always suck, but it makes the hello again that much better :)