Tuesday, August 08, 2006

One point for Dallas

I got my hair cut last week, and it's something I always have mixed emotions about. My hair is very thick and curly (think Felicity), so it's kind of limited what all I can do. I don't want to straighten it because why change things when you can have the best of both worlds with just a little bit of work?

Only one person had cut my hair from the time I was pretty little until I was in the 6th or 7th grade. Then, Tammy, my beloved hair lady, moved. She was the one who gave me my perm in the 5th grade. She must have worked some magic because my hair hasn't been straight since without making someone's arms very tired.

I love my curls. They're my trademark. They make me feel like I'm in some sort of club because other girls with thick, curly hair know my pain.

But every time I get my hair cut, no one ever notices because after the person is done cutting my hair, it's still just really long and thick and curly.

Not this time. Donna, my new friend at Ulta, is awesome. She has taken a class on curly hair in New York City. She told me about this really good leave-in conditioner and shampoo that I wound up buying, and I love them. And they were both on sale!

Donna was talkative, so there was no awkwardness of just having some stranger hack away at my hair for 45 minutes without saying a word.

And she blow-dried my hair straight. I didn't know that was possible. I thought that was only step two of the straightening process, only to be followed by step three -- the straightener. My hair looked awesome, and it felt great. People noticed it had been cut. And now that it's curly again, it looks awesome still. It's not frizzy, thanks to the awesome leave-in conditioner.

This may seem a little over the top to be so excited about finally finding someone who does a great job on my hair, but it's my hair. It's a small part of the reason I'm not living in some crappy small town as a TV reporter, where some producer would tell me my hair wasn't right for TV and make me cut it to my shoulders, straighten it and put highlights in it or dye it some color because viewers would like it better.

Plus, it's one point for Dallas, and just in time, because CG's moving soon. And a good haircut really just makes you feel good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They do make you feel good. I want to see pictures!!