Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Next week on 'The Couch' ...

Today was better at work. I'm slowly getting more things to do, which is nice. I was really worried Monday, my first day, that I'd made a mistake in leaving my other job. There wasn't much for me to do in my new job, and some of the things were so different it seemed bad at first. Tuesday, it was a little better. And today was a little better than that.

I'm really enjoying getting to interact with people! I really missed that at my old job! It sounds like several of my co-workers meet up each week for a happy hour. I'm actually planning on going to one on Monday. I'm excited about it! We only got together at my old job if someone was leaving or it was Christmastime. Woohoo ...

But the coolest part of my new job is that my commute is only 20 minutes to work and just about 30 home, since traffic is heavier then. It's great getting home before 6:30. I have more time to eat dinner and just chill out a bit before I go to the gym. (Hopefully my attendance will get better now than it has been the last few weeks. I do have Hawaii looming less than two months from now, so that'll help.)

Being home so early gives me plenty of time to watch awesome TV shows I'd always missed (catch that double meaning?) with my old job. Tonight after I watched Wheel of Fortune (I'm so cool, I know), I watched The Hills. I have to admit I think it's weird that I'm watching a real person's life on TV. How interesting does that make mine?

Yes, the show is about bratty kids in California who are pretty much set for the rest of their lives because their parents are loaded. Yes, most of the kids in the show probably don't know what a real job is. And yes, maybe my life would be more interesting if I could have a job like planning parties instead of one that will give me enough money to pay my bills.

But hey, those girls have their own reality show. If I had my own reality show, I don't know that anyone would even watch it (especially the part where I'm sitting on the coach snacking on chips watching Wheel of Fortune and The Hills).

It's kind of sad when you realize you're spending part of your life -- even if it is just 30 minutes (okay, an hour) -- watching someone else live theirs. And then I actually watched the show.

I swear, those girls are so pretty, but a couple of them are so dumb! The guys they stay with, the things they pass up or take for granted ... They have so much drama in their lives.

The biggest drama of my life today was when I realized Wal-Mart didn't have The Three Amigos in stock and that I have to order it online (it's part of K's Valentine's Day present). Of course, there was the dilemma I faced in choosing what to make for dinner: a hot dog or chicken nuggets. I mean, I was craving hot dogs, but I was also craving salad, and those don't go together. What to choose, what to choose?

Since my life is not a reality show that you can just TiVo to find out yourself, I'll tell you I went with the chicken nuggets and salad. I know it's these juicy tidbits of my day that keep you coming back here day after day.

I may not be cool enough to fill a 30-minute TV show, but dangit, I can find something to write about in a blog! (Although, with my recent experiences, the next hour of my life at the gym might make a pretty good comedy series.)

3 comments:

Courtney said...

Dude - EVERYTHING goes with salad!

Anonymous said...

I think that would make an interesting reality show. Start with 8 single women in 8 parts of the country. They have to be totally normal in their lives. Cameras are on them mmmm let's say 16 hours a day. The interenet votes them off based on interest in their lives.

How much of a self-esteem blow would that be to be voted off?

~Jef

California Girl said...

New jobs are always tough! I've been thinking about potentially looking for a new job as well, and I'm totally on the fence about a few things. I guess there are pros and cons to everything!

Look forward to hearing how things go next week!