Tuesday, August 07, 2007

As if heading back to Texas wasn't hard enough already

Friday night when K got home from work, we went out to dinner. I love it when he's in town on a weekday, or I'm visiting him on a weekday. We can see what it's like to just come home from work to see the other there. We can figure out what we want to do for dinner, and just enjoy each other's company for the rest of the night. It's pretty awesome, and we can't help but talk about how wonderful it'll be when that's a daily thing for us.

Saturday, we both slept in and were lazy until the early afternoon. After that, we headed out of town with some friends to see The Bourne Ultimatum and eat at Johnny Carinos (my favorite!). The movie was awesome. It really tied a lot of things together from the first two. The action scenes were great, and there were a few things I'd worried they might do in the third movie that they (thankfully) didn't. I loved pretty much everything about it. They're all three such great movies.

We were supposed to go to a bar after dinner and the movie, but one of K's friends who had ridden with us wanted to go to bed. K was disappointed, especially since he worked straight through last weekend and will be going through training starting next weekend and going through to September. It was like this was his chance to go out, cut loose and have fun, and his buddy, who seems to get less fun and more under the control of his girlfriend every day, was too tired to go. At 10:30 on a Saturday.

K and I went bike riding on Sunday afternoon. We only rode 16 miles, but they were 16 very hilly miles, and in the early afternoon in the Louisiana summer heat. It was a nice ride, but we were exhausted after all the hills. After we finished, we devoured a pepperoni pizza, and it was time for me to drive back to Tejas.

Getting ready to go proved to be pretty hard. As I was loading my car, a red wasp started chasing me. I ran inside and asked K if it was on my back. He said no, and he went outside to investigate. I wasn't lying or even exaggerating, as it turned out, because when I opened the door just a minute after K had gone outside, the wasp was at the door. "Close it, close it!" K yelled. He smashed it with his hat when it finally landed, but we didn't see where it went.

I went back in K's apartment to grab my purse, and when I opened the door again, I was still looking out for the wasp, just in case. I was surprised to see something moving on the ground, right on the other side of K's doorframe. It was a small snake. I called K over to look at it. He told me it was just a garden snake, and he scooped it into his hat and put it in the grass.

We said our goodbyes, and I started my drive back to Dallas. There's a train track not far from K's apartment, and when I got to the track, there was a train blocking it. Seven minutes later, the train was still there. I had to take a 15-minute detour to get around the train, but when I passed the tracks on the other side, I could see the train was still sitting there.

My drive went smoothly until I was just about 40 minutes from home. I hit some construction, and I crawled along from 11:30 until just about midnight. I didn't get home until after 12:30 because of that.

I'm sad I won't get to see K for another month, but I'm definitely not sad I won't have to make that drive again for the next few weeks!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

A whole month!??!? Booo.

But it will be nice to have to fight taffic (and killer snakes and wasps!)