Friday, August 24, 2007

This might be why I've only ever completed one (mini) scrapbook

My wedding present to K is going to be a scrapbook. It'll have pictures and keepsakes from our two-plus years together, and it's going to be awesome. Really awesome. I've been working on it for almost a week now ... and I have zero pages completed.


It's funny how long it takes to start a scrapbook. Especially when you want it to be perfect. There are just so many decisions to make, though: Do I want to make an 8x8 scrapbook, or 12x12? Do I want to have it geared toward K, with my own little comments and versions of the story when the picture was taken? Or do I want it to be more of a general us scrapbook -- and if I do that, is it really a present for K, or is it a copout, something I would have done later, but because I finished earlier I could call it a gift to K?


Does it need to be G-rated? -- not that we have X-rated pictures or anything, but odds are lots of other people will see this, meaning the quote page I had planned with funny little inside jokes might need to have punctuation marks and symbols in place of four-letter words. Should I include mainly pictures of us, or is it a good idea to include the picture of K and a friend of ours who stopped by to see us in Times Square for just a bit when we were there for New Years? I mean, it might be nice to look back and say, "Oh yeah! I forgot he met us there!"


Last Sunday, I went to the scrapbook store and spent a lot of money on paper and supplies. I already had an 8x8 scrapbook, so I was good to go. I went home and sat down at my computer to choose the pictures, anxious to begin my project. I realized then just how many pictures K and I have managed to take through our two-plus years together. I chose a few from each of my favorite pictures. It left me with well over 300 pictures. Eek.


After several nights of looking through them and choosing only the very best ones, I was left with about 250 pictures. I decided I'd have to just make the scrapbook the standard 12x12 size. Otherwise, I'd have to cut out too many memories.


I was able, though, to finish a project I'd bought the supplies for last week. Even if I can't wear it for another four weeks, it feels good to know I am capable of beginning and completing a project without overanalyzing every step of it.
















But I am worried I didn't get the letters straight enough. What if they're not quite centered? Are they tilting up a bit? And does it need a period?


Should it say "ARMY WIFE" somewhere on the shirt (maybe the back) so it's really clear the shirt is camo for a reason?


See? Totally not overanalyzing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The shirt is cute! Though I'm a little anal, so I would go for a period.

Also, if you ever want to get together to scrapbook, let me know. A friend of mine has a scrapbooking party every 3rd Saturday, and you're welcome to come any time. :)

Anonymous said...

i like that shirt! i did a scrapbook for our wedding. we had it out for everyone to look at. i have to say, though, my pages now are much better! good luck with it!