Sunday, November 19, 2006

A little tolerance

I bought two shirts to decide which would be best to make my special game day/Veterans Day shirt for last weekend's game. I went to SuperTarget today to return the one I didn't use. There was a line at customer service, but I was pleasantly surprised to see how quickly it moved. When I went up to the open register, I handed the guy behind the counter my receipt and shirt. I noticed the woman at the register next to me was being very rude to the woman helping her. So rude, in fact, that I was distracted watching her. I realized the guy helping me was waiting for me to hand him my debit card so he could credit it for my return. I apologized and explained that the woman was distracting me. "She's being unnecessarily rude," I said.

The man told me the woman had been at the registers for about 15 minutes. After that, I could understand how she'd be a little frustrated, but it couldn't have been entirely the worker's fault that she was still there. And even still, there's no reason to talk to a grown woman like she's 5 years old.

I've been a cashier before. I've worked at the mall before. And I've been a server.

The holidays are busy, and it's hectic to work in any of those places around this time of year. The hours are longer, people are in more of a hurry (and are, therefore, less forgiving of wait times) and stores are more packed.

Whoever you are, if you've ever worked as a server, a cashier or a customer service person, I hope you remember what it's like to have those jobs -- especially around the holidays. And if you've never worked somewhere where the motto is "the customer is always right," I hope you put yourself in their shoes.

You probably aren't the first panicked or stressed customer those workers have encountered. Lines are frustrating, but so is working for hours and seeing no end to the line behind your register.

Treat your server, cashier or any other service employee you encounter just as you would want to be treated if you were doing that person's job. After all, it's their holiday season, too.

3 comments:

a tall sassy gal said...

Wow great post! I worked in the mall 2 holiday seasons in a row and loved it. Even with all the rude people I would just keep smiling and say maybe something bad has happened them today and that is why they are so cranky. There were a few times customers got really loud with me and I would politely say I am not your child and I am here help but if you do not like my customer service take it up with my manager and they would shut right up. :)

s said...

i'm with you on this. i have never worked in a mall, but i have worked in my dad's pediatric office for many years. he has a large practice over 18,000 patients at last count and he has 3 partners, 2 other doctors and 3 nurse practioners needless to say around school physical time it gets very busy. i once had a lady that pulled me over and insisted to me that she should not have to wait for she was dr.my last name's first patient and a very close family friend. she spoke to me like i was a seven year old and said that, if i knew what was good for me and wanted to keep my job i would put her ahead of the other patients. i looked at her calmly said well, since i'm his frist daughter i'll be sure to let him know how you feel. i have never seen someone put their foot in their mouth so quickly.i took pure joy in the fact that she had no idea what to say. seriously, i learned then don't be rude to anyone you may need them later on haha. great post!!!

on a side note i totally meant oklahoma! ha.

Unknown said...

Customers can be SO rude!! But I have honestly found myself absolutely SHOCKED at how rude and demeaning customer service (particularly at Target!) employees have been to me lately. Mainly while I was returning baby shower gifts, one woman almost made me cry after I waited... get this... 48 minutes for her to help me. Of course, Amelia was 2 weeks old and screaming and it was misery. Then entire time, I was so sweet and she was so damn mean!! I finally had to get her manager to help us because she kept getting distracted chatting to everyone else. Sigh. Sorry to go off on that tangent. I think EVERYONE should be treated with respect, we are a civilized society!!!

This was a terrific post :) THanks for reminding us all!!