Wednesday, November 15, 2006

(Slightly immature) dilemma

Last night, I went to this OU journalism grad thing for (surprise, surprise) alums of OU's journalism college. There was a cocktail hour, hors d'oeuvres and even a chocolate fountain. And it was all free.

As I was walking in, I was stopped by one of WK's co-workers. (WK works for as a designer for an ad agency. She has an art degree from OU.) Well, WK's co-worker happened to be talking on the phone to WK. It sounded like she was giving her directions to get to our gathering. When her co-worker hung up the phone, I said, "Is she coming?" Yes. Me, unable to hide my feelings on it: "Why?" (In case you didn't realize, art degrees have nothing to do with the journalism college.) "Because we told her to," her co-worker said.

So I get into the gathering and am mingling with people I hadn't seen in a couple years and was excited to see. I look over and see WK enter. Not excited to see her. And why was she crashing a journalism thing?

She eventually came up to me as I was talking to a friend I hadn't seen in a while. I found myself having to pretend to be excited to see WK. We engaged in conversation that was slightly awkward because I was annoyed that I was having to fake wanting to talk to her to not be rude. I don't like being fake or when people are fake. I wasn't over the top about it, though -- I simply carried on a conversation.

After a while, President Boren spoke, which was awesome. It sounds like OU is really doing well and making a name for itself. It's been written about in The New York Times, The Washington Post and The Princeton Review in the last few weeks. In fact, just yesterday The Princeton Review ran a story about the elite eight colleges that are giving private colleges a run for their money. On the list, and with the biggest photo of the story: the University of Oklahoma.

Well, following President Boren's speech, the CEO of American Airlines, who is an OU grad, drew for two free plane tickets to anywhere in the U.S. Guess who won? WK. WHO IS NOT AN ALUMNA OF THE JOURNALISM COLLEGE.

I know it's slightly immature to be mad about this, but I seriously want to e-mail her and tell her if she has any conscience at all, she'd give the tickets to one of her co-workers who actually is an OU journalism grad.

Please tell me I am being immature and to just shut up and get over it. Thank you for your assistance.

------------------------------------------------
In case you're with S on not knowing who WK is, she's on my initial legend to the right of my blog. She used to be a Wednesday girl, but she slowly stopped showing up. She'd always be busy with something. After a while, we just stopped inviting her to save her the trouble of coming up with a reason she couldn't meet us or telling us she had other plans.

As she was phasing herself out, though, whenever she DID come with us, she'd talk the whole time about how great her job was, how funny these stories were from work that we didn't get. I told ER one day that I was convinced WK sat at work thinking of funny stories to tell us and writing them down, then rehearsing them all day Wednesday so she'd remember them at dinner. What's funny is that about two days later, Emily wound up saying basically the same thing to ER. It kind of became our joke.

Every once in a while, WK would call ER or me, and she'd always ask if we'd talked to the other one. I guess she doesn't realize ER is my best friend. She'd call out of the blue if she'd had a bad day, and she'd always say, "We need to do our Wednesday thing again." What she didn't realize is that we never stopped.

WK just always had this way of saying things to make you feel stupid or like she's looking down on you. Many times, she uses your name or nickname to talk down to you. It's happened multiple times. (One example: Danielle was coming to visit me, and her boyfriend, who was 19, was also going to come. They were both going to stay at my aparment. They have made the decision to "wait" until they get married. Well, Danielle's bf's parents were not cool with the idea of the two of them staying together at my apartment, although it had nothing to do with me. I was telling WK that it sucked because Danielle's bf was 20. WK said, "Yeah, [my name], exactly: He's 20." I said, "I know. He's 20 and in college, living in his own apartment. Anything that could happen at my apartment would just as easily happen in Norman in the comfort of his own room. He's an adult.")

ER and I have a great group of friends we hang out with, and WK has her own group of friends. Neither of us had seen WK in months.

5 comments:

s said...

that's soo not cool! but i'd probably never say anything because i'm a wimp. on a related matter that i think i missed who is wk and why don't we like her that much?

a tall sassy gal said...

Wow she should give them back. Heck she shouldn't have been there. I think you should tell her that and maybe she would give them back. Sometimes it has to be spelled out to be people b/c they really do not know any better.

Anonymous said...

Grrr. That makes me SO mad for you. Nothing irritates me more than empty excuses. It's like they have no respect for your time, like they don't realize a simple NO would be so much freaking better than excuse after excuse. Would've saved you a ton of time. On top of that it sounds like she's lacking a little common courtesy in the SHE DOESN'T HAVE A JOURNALISM DEGREE department.

Anonymous said...

Ohmigod! I got the invitation for the JayMac event too. I totally would have gone if I knew that someone cool like you was going to be there. And that sucks about WK what a tool. You should have stood up on the chair and called her a douchebag. I would have totally backed you up. As an alumn, you should write a letter to the dean and complain that the big prize went to a non-j-school grad. I bet they'd take that into consideration and maybe offer an appology or something. Or next time you see her just kick her really hard.

Dang it. I wish I knew you were going to be there, I would have totally shown up. blah.

But anyways, was the food good?

my life is brilliant said...

Karen, you SO should have gone! I could have met you! There goes our only opportunity. Ever.

I would have LOVED if you'd been there to back me up and call her a douchebag. I wanted to stand on a chair and scream, "SHE'S NOT A JOURNALISM GRAD!"

And yes, the food was good. Almost as good as the free wine. But not as good as it all would have been if a journalism person had won the tickets.

Okay ... I'm over it.

(not really)