Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Let's have a vote!

I've found three dresses now that I like, but I have some concerns about each. I've asked a few of my friends for their opinions, and it didn't seem right to not include a vote on my blog. :)

Dress 1:






































Dress 2:




















Dress 3:






































Concerns


  • Dress 1 is more formal than what I'd imagined. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though -- unless it's too formal for a rehearsal dinner at the Dallas wedding. Where we'll likely serve barbecue. I could get it altered to shorten the length a bit, which would help, but there's the whole semi-train, tuft thing growing out of the back, which I'm also not a huge fan of, but maybe it's not bad.
  • Dress 1 also doesn't allow for a bra, which means I'll have to get those individual cup bra ... things, which might be uncomfortable or hard to get right. Something to consider.
  • I really like Dress 2, but I'm worried about possible wind, being on a beach and all. I also wish the dress was a little closer to white than the champagne color it is, but that's just a preference, not a deal-breaker. Is it too sexy for a wedding dress, though?
  • Dress 2 is a lot like the original dress I ordered, but I think the lack of the giant band across the waist will make a huge difference. The huge band on the dress I ordered before meant the dress couldn't form to my body, which meant it just hung there and made me look even more shapeless. The cinch in this one will add the illusion of curves, and it'll help the dress to lay better on me. Silk, though, can show everything. Hopefully, with my time in the gym, that won't be a problem. It's also got a polyester lining, so it'll be more forgiving than if it were just silk. Besides, I love wearing soft fabrics like silk!
  • Dress 3 is adorable and would be great for a rehearsal dinner, but it's a bit more casual than what I'd pictured for the Florida dress. It's $250, but it'll last, and I'll be able to wear it at more places than the first two.

Who knows -- maybe none of these three are The Dress. But it's fun to vote anyway, right?

14 comments:

Liz said...

I personally like the first one because it is a little more formal. I think #3 is great, but just a bit too casual to get married in. Can you try any of them on before ordering?

Courtney said...

I kinda like the 1st one the best. I mean it's your wedding dress - you're allowed to be a little formal!

The Unprocessed Project said...

I like the first one best too. It is simple, yet elegant. I agree with the other two comments...you want your wedding dress to be somewhat formal and not something that you feel like you can wear other places. But I'm confused....is this dress going to be your Florida wedding dress and your Dallas rehearsal dinner dress? I guess I'm just confused on where and how many weddings you are having. Maybe I need to read past posts.

Anonymous said...

My fave is number one. I don't think you'd have to worry about a bra, since it's got that gathered material you wouldn't have to worry about nipplage. You'd have to take it to a tailor to make sure it fit you properly there. That's the beauty of not having a ginormous chest with this type of dress - it's MADE for someone with smaller boobs. Which, if you have, will be perfect. Big boobs would just look ghetto and slutty in this dress, all hanging out there like a Jessica Simpson wannabe. Blech.

Regarding getting the hem tailored - you could always get it tailored for both events, maybe a mid-calf length. I wouldn't worry about that poofy train thing. It's small enough that you could have it removed and have the back sewn together without tremendously changing the style of the dress.

Dress 2 is my second fave of these options. It is a little sexier, but I think that's one of the reasons I like it. Plus: the material. And it's got the same cut in the front as the first dress, which I think will look fabulous on you. I wish I knew what the back of this dress looked like. It might change my opinion entirely. I'm afraid it's something expected, like material that goes over the shoulders and around the neck, a little bit of open back, and then the material halfway up the back (about where the gather is in the front). I think that type of back is too obvious. It needs to be unique.

The third dress is my least favorite, just because I feel like there isn't anything particularly special about this dress. It's cute, would probably look great on, but isn't BRIDAL. It's party, it's cocktail, it's vacation at the beach and a nice night out to dinner, but it doesn't scream to me that it's something to wear on a WEDDING day. You'd really have to play it up somehow with jewelry, rich flowers, or something. I do love the shape of it, though.

s said...

ok so i love the first dress it's more bride like. i also love the third dress, but for a rehersal dinner, but then again i don't know how causual you were thinking the fl wedding may be.

Anonymous said...

I like the first dress. Although it may be a little long if you're getting married on the beach. Probably ok if you're indoors. I also think it will look good with your slender frame. And the bra sticky things aren't that bad. In fact, they're way better now than they were 10 years ago. They're less based on tape now days and more on silicon. And I love the back. That's awesome.

I like 3 too, however I agree with you, it's a little more casual. However, you can always dress that up with awesome jewelry, hair and shoes. It would be great if you were outdoors as well. In fact, it might be neat for an outdoor wedding. You'd say cool. Put some flowers in your hair and have K not wear a tie. You could totally play up that angle. Or you know, get married barefoot in the surf.

In my opinion, the second one looks a lot like a nightgown. I'm not that thrilled about it. I also wish it was white rather than champaigne. I am not a big fan of the unstructured look. That is my least favorite.

My vote is 1 with 3 as a close second depending on what kind of wedding you're going to have. As far as a rehersal dinner dress I'd aim more for something colorful, vibrant and fun. Either dres could do that. All you need is some tayloring to shorten 1 and a box of RIT dye.

A girl I went to grad school with, took her wedding dress had it cutt off at the knee and dyed black. It is by far her most favorite little black dress. She loves it because she knows it used to be her wedding dress and she got more than one wearing out of it. That is also an option.

Good luck with your decision!

Courtney said...

Other dress options... becuase I'm bored, I mean, a good friend like that...

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=235907&CategoryID=5449&LinkType=EverGreen

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=246087&CategoryID=27228&LinkType=DepthPath

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=231918&CategoryID=27230

Stacey Brandow said...

I love dress 3. I really love dress 1 but I can see what you mean about it being a little formal but it's very cute!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Love one and three! also love the ones courtney suggested, those looks great for your body type as well!

and sticky bras have come a long way and really do help with the nippleage...

L said...

oh yes, so fun to vote! and i vote for #1. who cares if you're having a bbq - it's your wedding! you can be formal.

my second choice is #3 but you're right, it is more casual.

a tall sassy gal said...

I am still voting on 1!

California Girl said...

I didn't have look any further than dress one. It's pretty much amazingly awesome. Please pick dress one!!!

Anonymous said...

1 or 3 don't ask me why.

~Jef

Anonymous said...

i love dress no. 1. it's gorgeous!! dress 3 is my pick for a rehearsal dinner.