Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Who would have thought a piece of fabric could make me feel so anxious?

This morning, I was innocently going about my business, preparing for a day's work when I got an email: "You have ups in the mail room."

Oh, God. I know what that is. I tried to play it cool as I considered my options. I knew if I went to get it immediately, I'd want to try it on. It would taunt me all day. But I couldn't just leave it in the mailroom either. I had to get it.

I prepared some things I needed to send out to take to the mailroom with me. When I got to the room, I looked through the boxes and boxes for my coworkers until I found a long, slender box with my name on the label.

I carried the box downstairs and showed it to my coworker, who promptly said, "Open it!" She handed me some scissors, so I sliced through the brown box tape and opened the end of it. I could see the ivory taffeta just waiting patiently inside the box.

I pulled the dress out. It looked a bit different than it did in the picture, but I'm sure it just needs to spend some time not stuffed inside a long slender box. "Ooo, it's so pretty!" my coworker said.

I wanted to try the dress on, but at the same time, I'm scared. That's the dress I might get married in. In September. What if it doesn't look good? What if it's the wrong size? What if it makes me look like a flat-chested boy?

Besides, where am I going to try it on at work? In the bathroom? I can't try on my possible wedding dress in the bathroom!!!

I'm going to have to wait until I get home to try it on.

So now, my dress is behind me in my cubicle, hanging slyly yet somehow innocently at the same time. Man, is this going to be a long day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

EEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Can you go home during lunch to try it on? Or in an empty office?

Take pics!

Liz said...

Ahhh! I would die if I were you! Good luck making it through the day.

Anonymous said...

Well ... you two can always get married in your birthday suits!

giggle

~Jef

Unknown said...

OK I keep checking back to see if you've updated!! Why don't you go home early, just for me?!?!?

a tall sassy gal said...

Oh my goodness I would be dying!

Can't wait to hear how it went!