Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Getting ready is getting to be quite an ordeal!

In junior high, I had an awesome getting-ready-for-bed routine: I showered, brushed my teeth, splashed water over my face and was done. But in high school, I started noticing my friends were doing other things -- they had Clearasil or Noxzema, and some of them even had face lotion. I started experimenting with those too.

In college, I went to a friend's makeup party, where I was introduced to a different face wash and lotion. I liked how clean they made my face feel. I was supposed to wash and moisturize before bed and each morning. Twice a day was a little more than what I wanted to do, so I rebelled by only using the moisturizer at night.

Later in college, I was introduced to a new skin care line, which added facial toner to my routine. Eventually, though, I switched again, and a new triple action moisturizer was also added to my morning and evening mixes. I got eye cream and an acne cream for breakouts. I started using eye makeup remover rather than leaving my waterproof mascara on overnight.

My post-shower routine evolved as well, adding several steps before I was ready for bed. I got leave-in conditioner. I started drying my hair with a blow dryer. I started moisturizing more than just my legs.

A few months ago, I went to the eye doctor to get a new prescription for contacts. My sophomore year in college, I'd started sleeping in them and only changing out my one-month disposables when they started hurting my eyes, which generally took about three months. My optometrist, though, told me I should start taking my contacts out each night and even throwing them away after only one month of wearing them! I promised him I would, so I added taking my contacts out to my nightly routine and putting them in to my morning repertoire.

And last week, I did something I hadn't done in an embarrassingly long time: I went to the dentist. The appointment went well. My teeth were in good shape, but the enamel on my back teeth is getting thin. The dentist wrote me a prescription for a rinse that will help to build it back up. The assistant also told me I should start flossing.

I don't know anyone who flosses every day. Before Thursday night, I pretty much only flossed after eating popcorn and sometimes after strawberries, so this will be a big change for me. I wasn't excited about it, but I want my teeth to be pretty and in good condition, so I'll cooperate.

Regardless of my lonely membership in the Daily Flosser Club, my morning and nightly routines seem to be getting longer and longer by the month. I haven't even had a chance to go get my rinse prescription filled to add that to my routine.

I can't think of much else that could be added to my morning and evening routines. I don't know if I can handle much more. If I keep up this pace, I'll be spending my entire day getting ready for bed by the time I'm 40!

5 comments:

Courtney said...

Don't even get me started on the flossing thing. Turns out another thing I inherited from my dad was a really crappy set of teeth. They are SUPER sensitive - like candy and cold water HURT! So annoying. I went to the dentist last week and he told that I HAVE to start taking better care of my teeth or pretty soon I won't be able to eat at all because my teeth will hurt too bad. GAH! So now I use a SoniCare toothbrush and brush with special toothpaste (made for sensitive teeth) for a full 2 minutes. And then I floss. And then I brush AGAIN with just flouride, and I'm not supposed to rinse it off afterward so I have to go to bed with my mouth all filled with flouride crap. YUCK! It's been almost a whole week and I still going strong. But I really don't know how long I can keep this sort of routine up.

Liz said...

I kid you not, I never even knew you were supposed to floss until I was in high school and my sister got braces and started flossing. Sounds gross, but nobody in my family ever flossed and my childhood dentist never flossed our teeth either! I have amazing teeth, no cavities ever in my life, so it can't really be that harmful. However, I have taken to flossing ever few nights these days because of pregnancy gingivitis. My gums are definitely sensitive these days. But ya, my point is, I agree... flossing sucks!

L said...

I hate the bedtime routine! I don't floss either, but my bedroommate does so I wouldn't feel totally alone. She is also such a big "routine" person. Instead of looking at the clock in the morning, I just see what step in her routine she's at and then I know what time it is! You're inspiring me, though - maybe I will begin flossing now. After all, taking care of oneself is better than missing out on a few more minutes of sleep.

a tall sassy gal said...

I cant make myself floss but I have tried a few times. Maybe one day I will just bite the bullet and do it. But adding another thing to the routine is just not something I am looking forward to.

Guys frustrate because they have hardly any steps!

Katrina said...

Eeek! My bedtime routine has not evolved at all, sadly. It's exactly like your junior high routine--minus the shower, since I take mine in the morning. My skin could probably do with a little more pampering!