Thursday, April 20, 2006

Some "man"

Back in college, my dorm was a 12-story building. I lived on the 9th floor, so most of the time, I took the elevator. Most riders in the elevator were disgusted to see any able-bodied person take the elevator to anything below the 5th floor. Four floors is not too many steps to climb.

I work in a 4-story building. The main entrance to the building is on the first floor. Many mornings, I arrive at the same time as a man who works on the second floor, since we both use the mass transit system to get to work.

I take the stairs throughout the day when I need to get to other floors. If I go get a drink besides water, I take the stairs to the first floor vending machines to get one. As I am coming or going from work, though, most of the time I take the elevator. In a 4-story building, if those of us who work on the 4th floor don't take the elevator, who will?

But this man who works on the second floor steps into the elevator each morning and presses the button marked "2." The first time I saw him do this, I was disgusted. This man is in his early 40s at the latest, I would guess. There appears to be nothing keeping him from taking the stairs. But I watched just in case as he exited for any sign of a limp or uneven leg length -- nothing.

He should be ashamed of himself. What kind of self-respecting, able-bodied man takes the stairs to the second floor? Seriously!

No comments: