Monday, April 03, 2006

Playing house

K came in to visit me this weekend, and as usual, it was wonderful. He actually surprised me Friday night by getting here about an hour and half earlier than he had led me to believe he would. I had planned on running to Wal-Mart, vacuuming my apartment, cleaning my bathroom, then showering and shaving my legs so I would be smooth and feeling refreshed when he got here. I was on the phone with him as I got back to my apartment from Wal-Mart. I got out of my car and started unloading my groceries when our conversation was cut off. I figured he'd gotten somewhere where he lost his signal. All of a sudden, I hear him say, "I figured, why should I talk to you on the phone if I could just talk to you in person." I was totally shocked. It was great to have him there early. We just laid around my apartment and watched TV. K was actually pretty tired after his drive from Louisiana, so we went to bed at about 11:30.

Saturday, we woke up and talked and went back to sleep and woke up and drifted off again. We did that until about 10-ish, I guess, and then we watched TV for a bit, and K started looking for plane tickets for Easter weekend. We went out to lunch, and then we went shopping. We had bought some gerbera daisies and little pots for my porch. I planted them, and we did laundry together. K had also bought a blender to make his little protein smoothies when we were shopping. We had gotten a strawberry daiquiri mixer to test it out. We cooked dinner together that night at my apartment. I'd found this recipe for pineapple chicken, so we made that. It was really fun cooking together. K made us the daiquiris, so we had our grilled pineapple chicken with salad and grilled pineapples with our yummy strawberry daiquiries.

After dinner, we cleaned up the kitchen and got ready to go see K's friends who are in from Germany. I had only met them once before. They're married, and they're both in the Army. Brandon, the husband (obviously), had been K's roommate a few years ago, and he's one of K's best friends. We didn't leave to go meet them until 11:30 or so, so we were both pretty tired by the time we got there. They were staying with a friend of Brandon's wife, and the area they live is growing rapidly. So rapidly, in fact, that there are just no street signs on some of the roads. It makes it pretty difficult to get somewhere when you don't know what street your on! So K and I were pretty frustrated for a while there.

What I appreciate about our relationship, though, is that we tell each other if we're angry or getting frustrated. And it's always fine. Great communication really is key to a relationship. And after my last relationship (which had terrible communication), I definitely believe it.

It was fun seeing Brandon and his wife again. K and Brandon had gone outside for quite a while and talked by themselves. I stayed in the house and talked to the friend whose house we were at. She was really nice. K did say that he and Brandon had talked about me while they were outside. I couldn't help but wonder what K had told him... :) We got home pretty late last night after hanging out with K's friends. We slept in this morning and went to Fuddruckers for a nice, unhealthy burger. We went to the car wash, came back to my apartment and relaxed on the couch all day. It was so nice, and I hated that it all went so fast, as usual. When he left, he said how great the weekend had been and how much he had enjoyed cooking dinner together. Days like these last two make me wish that someday soon they'll turn to an everyday thing -- that the flowers I put in cute pots we picked out together will go on our front porch, that we'll cook dinner together in our kitchen and that he won't have to leave by 7 on Sunday night so he can get home at a decent time because he'll already be home ... with me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Thanks for leaving a comment on my site - I always wonder who my lurkers are! :)

* * *

I totally understand what you mean about wishing K didn't have to go home, wishing that the space you shared was your space together.

Before I married my husband, it was absolute TORTURE having to leave each other every night. :(