Monday, April 24, 2006

Back in Texas ... and what sucks about being tall

My Oklahoma weekend with K was great. K drove here from Louisiana, and we drove together to Oklahoma. We got to my dad's at about 1:15 a.m. We stayed up and talked to my dad and his girlfriend until 2:30-ish, and then we all went to bed. K and I got up early Saturday morning and ran around the park a couple of times. It was nice, and I did much better than when we ran in Pennsylvania. There were a lot fewer hills, too. :)

After that, we went straight to my dad's store for breakfast with my family. The weather was great, so my dad kidnapped K (not really) and took him golfing. As soon as they left, I said to everyone, "He better have a very important question for my dad while they're gone!" :)

After they got back, we cleaned up and met one of my friends who I hadn't seen in years. She's my age, but is married, has a 5-month old adorable son, and her husband is building them a house. Our lives are so different! It was good to see her, though. By the time we left them, it was 5:30, and all we had eaten was breakfast. We were starving, but we were supposed to meet my mom at 6 for dinner. So we snacked until it was time to leave, then met her and her husband at my favorite restaurant. I hadn't seen my mom since Christmas Eve, and we hadn't talked in a couple of months because we've been fighting (we don't really get along). Dinner went well, and then she and her husband folluowed us to the races to watch my brother. He did really well. He has two cars -- his car from last year and his new one this year. He won one qualifying race and came in third in the other. In the main race, he won in the not-so-fast class. In the fastest class, he led for 15 laps (there are 20), then his motor blew at lap 18. It sucked. K and I didn't get to race like we'd planned. But my brother did well, and I was proud of him.

We all went back to my dad's after. K and I were in the bedroom after we first got there. He had sat down on the bed and laid down where he was sitting. He was trying to get me to lay down, which I didn't want to do and didn't think was a good idea at the time, so I turned to leave and motioned for him to come with me. He reached his legs out to catch me and stop me. He had his ankles wrapped around my legs, and as I turned to leave, my knee dislocated and I dropped to the ground to get my weight off it.

I knew immediately what had happened. I grew pretty quickly in high school, and my knees didn't keep up with it. I dislocated them five times between the two of them, all doing simple things like walking a bike, moving like I was going into the splits (front-to-back splits), standing on one foot to climb over a chair at the movies, and even sitting on my bed doing math homework -- with my knee brace on! I had surgery after the first injury -- the walking the bike one. (It fully dislocated and chipped a piece of bone, which lodged into my joint. The doctors had to remove the piece and repair the cartilage.) Some of the times, my knee only partially dislocated, but that's still not a normal -- or good thing -- to have happen. I used to call the time when my knees were both healthy and I wasn't in a brace my "off season." The fifth time my knee was right at five years ago. My doctor told me I would have to do these specific exercies for the rest of my life. Every once in a while, my knee will still feel funny, but I figured for the most part I was over the trouble. After all, I'm not growing taller anymore.

Anyway, so I immediately changed from my jeans into shorts because I knew once my knee swelled, it would be tough and painful to get them off. My knee didn't swell, though, but the next day it was still tender and tight in places. I think what happened is that it partially dislocated, which still worries me because my brain says if it happened once, it could happen again.

K felt really bad about what happened. I told him it wasn't his fault and that he hadn't done anything that would have hurt any normal person who didn't have knee problems. I told him it didn't hurt, and that it just scares me when it happens.

So after that little scare, we all went back into the kitchen. It was me, K, my dad and his girlfriend, and a family friend and his wife. My brother and a couple of his friends came by, so we were sitting around talking and eating. After a while, K and I both went back to the room because I was so tired. He actually fell asleep before I did. Everyone was being pretty loud, so I woke up several times between that and K's snoring. :)

We woke up about 9:30 for breakfast and then went golfing. I just rode in the golf cart because I was worried about my knee and was limping a bit to avoid bending it. After golf, we went back to the house and sat outside talking and laughing at my dad's girlfriend's daughters' (got that?) puppy.



He's about 3 months old. He's really cute, but he's really dumb. His name is Chewy, short for Chewbacca. I have no idea why the girls picked that name.



We left that afternoon and came back to Texas. We got some dinner, brought it back to my place and watched the end of movie. Then we watched the end of another movie. By then, it was 10, and K usually tries to leave by 7 so he doesn't get back to Louisiana too late. I worry when he drives so late. Neither of us was ready for him to leave, but he had to go.

I talked to my dad's girlfriend on the phone after he left. She said that our family friends were asking when they think K and I will get married. They're all guessing sometime next summer. But first, he has to ask the question. Hopefully he got one step closer to that this weekend!

No comments: