Wednesday, April 26, 2006

What would you do?

I need some serious advice. I'm totally stuck because what I want to do and what I feel like I should do are two totally different things. I think I know the answer, but I'm indecisive, and I want another opinion. Or two. Or eight ... *ahem* hundred. ...

This weekend is ER's 23rd birthday. She keeps saying it's not a big deal because "nothing special happens when you turn 23. It's just another birthday." But she also says the great thing about birthdays is that you celebrate being alive and simply surviving another year. Her birthday is Sunday.

If this weekend was almost any other weekend on the calendar, I would definitely go to Louisiana to see K. He came here last weekend, and all we have are our weekends -- that's the only time we can see each other. In the summer, he'll be out in the field a lot for drills and training and such. Last weekend, we were in Oklahoma visiting my family. Next weekend, we'll be with his family in Pennsylvania the whole time for his cousin's wedding. Last weekend, before I realized what the date on the calendar was and that ER's birthday is Sunday, K and I had planned to just relax together -- just the two of us. We were going to watch Elizabethtown (partly filmed in OK!!) because he's had it on Netflix now for like a month because I want to see it. It was going to be about us.

K spent all of last weekend in the car for me. Also, on Saturday, one of his friends and his wife have just moved to a new house, and a group of the guys are getting together to help him build a fence. I know most everyone who will be there, so it would be fun. I was looking forward to it.

But ER only turns 23 once. She has to do something with work on Saturday, so she and her boyfriend are going out for dinner Saturday night. Afterward, they're going to call and "we'll" all get together. Problem is, "we're" isn't all planned yet. I figured ER would want to wait until her roommate and childhood best friend, Emily, was free to come out with all of us. After all, we are the "Wednesday girls." But Emily is working on Saturday night. And Friday and Sunday nights. So that leaves WK and me. Which isn't bad, but I could see WK backing out. In the past when there weren't plans, it happened. It wound up being just ER and me, or nothing happened at all. Even though I'd started mentioning the weekend two weeks before to try to come up with plans.

If I stay here this weekend, I'll just hang out in my apartment Friday night being bored. Saturday, I'll probably go to the gym and clean my apartment or something. I'll wait all day until ER and her boyfriend call, and then we'll go meet wherever they want to meet. I could see it happening where we all get there, hang out for a bit and everyone is tired, so we leave at midnight. Which would make me pretty pissed. But at the same time, I've rarely been one to party until 4. If I give up my whole weekend, though, for one night, then it better be one hell of a night.

If I go with K, we don't have to have any plans. I'll be fine doing whatever. We'll probably go to the gym together Saturday (so either way I'll be healthy). We'll watch movies together and hang out with his friends building the fence. Sunday would be ours.

I know what I want to do, but it's not what I think I probably should do. And to be honest, it wouldn't be such a tough decision if there were at least some freakin' plans! If I stay here, I risk the chance that ER gets home from her thing with work, goes to dinner and is tired. And if we go out, she'll have church the next day unless she decides to skip (which has happened before).

Keep in mind that K is 5 hours away, so it wouldn't make sense to go to see him Friday after work and come back in time for Saturday night -- it's Texas or Louisiana (unless you have a jet, pilot's license and nothing to do this weekend).

Knowing all of the above, if you, lucky reader who isn't me, were in my situation, what would you do?

No comments: