Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Dunt dunt duuuuuuuuunnnn ...

Today, I became one of Those People.

I listen to The Bone online when I'm at work. It's the online version, so the station doesn't include its commercials since companies are only paying to reach those in the listening area. There are a few companies that I guess do choose to pay for online commercials. And since no other commercials but those two or three play (in addition to the station's own fillers so we're not listening to dead air), I hear the same ones at least 20 times a day, which can get a little obnoxious. There's one commercial for a Chevy place called Friendly Chevrolet. It has this really annoying, honky tonk jingle that's annoying by itself. But that's not enough. There's this guy who, right before the jingle plays, growls "Driiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive Friendly!" The thing is, the guy almost sounds like he's burping or something. It gives me a mental picture of some beer-bellied guy wearing a stained wife beater, and if I had a car company, that's not the image I'd want people to associate with my establishment.

Anyway, after a good month of hearing this obnoxious commercial, I decided to make a request on behave of the hundreds (at least) more who feel the same as I do. I e-mailed the company and tactfully requested that it consider changing the way the quote is said. I know, I know -- it's quite ridiculous. But so is the commercial. I promise. If you don't believe me, click on the Bone link above and listen for no longer than 20 minutes. You'll hear it, and you'll understand. Trust me.

I also renewed my lease today. The office had put my renewal forms on my door last weekend. My apartment changed ownership a couple weeks ago, so I wanted to scan the lease to make sure nothing big had changed. (And my mom taught me to always read stuff before you sign it!) I was on my mode of mass transportation earlier tonight, so I decided to pass the time being productive. Well, while I was reading my lease, I found a couple mistakes in it. One of them was worded in a way that meant the opposite of what they intended. It basically was worded to say that if I purposely stained my carpet or was so careless that it looks like crap when I move out, the apartment is responsible for the fees. What it meant to say is that they'll take care of anything that is normal wear and tear on the carpet. Any negligence, carelessness, accident or abuse beyond that is my reponsibility. So I marked that sentence and wrote, "Is this correct?"

I know, I know. I'm pathetic. Don't worry -- I alreay know. When I told K about both of those things, he said, "My gosh. You're going to be one of those old ladies. ..." I promise, though, I won't be. I hope not, anyway.

No comments: