Tuesday, October 24, 2006

That's what I get

I don't venture out of my little box very often. I prefer to go to the same restaurants and order the same thing. If I go to Chili's, I'll order the chicken strips (kiddie size!) with honey mustard sauce, unless I really want a burger, so I'll order that. If I eat Mexican, I always get cheese enchiladas -- hold the onions. If I eat Italian, it's always chicken parmigiana, unless I'm hungry for baked ziti. Yes, it's not very adventurous, but I know I like those things, and I'd much rather not be disappointed with what I order.

Today, though, I did two things I don't usually do: 1) I went to lunch with a friend from another department. I usually just bring my lunch and eat at my desk. 2) I let her pick the restaurant, since the last time we went two months ago, I picked Corner Bakery. And the time we went a month or two before, I picked Corner Bakery. And the time before that, Corner Bakery -- my choice. It's only fair.

My friend did some research on different restaurants around our office, and she checked out some ratings of a few. So I still leave the choice to her, and she chooses this little place I'd never heard of. "It's on the back side of [I'm not telling you because it's too much information and you might be able to stalk me]," she said. We set out on our way to this little restaurant, and I was horrified when we stopped in front of this little cafe-like business I'd seen before and knew I'd never care to eat at. But it was my friend's choice, and she had said it was supposed to be good. And the other girl with us had eaten there before. She didn't seem opposed. It couldn't be that bad, right?

Wrong. I ordered a turkey melt because I was wanting to eat something a little healthier, since my dinner tonight will be leftover pizza from last night's dinner. I figure it's good to throw something lighter in there from time to time.

I got my turkey melt, which was cut in half, both parts filled with grilled onions and grease. The turkey looked less-than appetizing. The two pickles and pathetic pile of lettuce on the side were not even enough for one half of the sandwich. The fries were unseasoned and definitely slightly soggy. Luckily, though, today is one of the rare days when my office actually has snacks in the kitchen, so I knew it'd be alright.

What I didn't realize, though, is that the restaurant left with me. I figured it out when I got in the elevator in my building. I noticed a strong odor, and when I smelled my hair, I was horrified. We all reaked of the crappy restaurant. So my hair and my clothing smell of fried disgustingness. And there's nothing I can do about it.

I carry Bath & Body Works Coconut Lime Verbena body splash in my work tote for just this sort of situation. I coated myself in that stuff. Twice. But guess which smell won?

I'm going to have to walk around the building for the remainder of the day smelling like cheap truck stop food. Then, I'm going to have to sit on my crowded means of mass transportation, and whoever sits next to me will be thinking, "God, who is this girl? What is that terrible smell? She's disgusting!"

And then, I'm going to have to go to the gym smelling like this because, hello, who showers before the gym? So when I'm running on the elliptical, everyone around me will be thinking, "Girl, you are disgusting. I am so not using that equipment after you."

Basically, I'm looking at another 7 1/2 hours of smelling like an old corndog that's been sitting in the warmer at 7-Eleven for six months. Fabulous.

And it's all because I tried something different.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

Oh no! Trying a new thing should be a positive experience!!! So sad it was crappy.

I'm totally the same way about always ordering the same dish at a resturant (this is why the first time I go someplace it takes me FOREVER to order... I know that it's the only dish I'll ever eat there!) BUT I don't like having the same meal over and over... so I go to LOTS of different resturants to get some variety.

Alyssa said...

Well hopefully everyone that came in your path that day likes corn dogs!

L said...

That's funny, because I eat at this sandwich place, only it's nice and clean and everything, but I swear I smell like food when I leave. Yuck!