Friday, March 03, 2006

An apple a day? Whatever!

I'm pretty sure today that I look like I feel -- crappy. The first thing one of my coworkers said to me when I walked in today was, "Are you okay?" This could be because I was groaning and struggling to breathe through my nose, but I doubt she heard my groan because she's deaf in the ear that was facing me.

My boss was headed toward my office as I was blowing my nose for the 8th time, even though I had only been in there for about 15 minutes. He asked if I was feeling okay. Honestly, I feel ... alright. I'm just really stuffy. One nostril is totally clogged, and the other starts running if I try to breathe through my nose. So I'm having to suffer and breathe through my mouth, which I hate doing. It makes my mouth feel funny and I don't like it. And it spreads more germs, and frankly, it's just not attractive to breathe through your mouth.

But the good thing is that my boss said we'll try to finish up early today so I can go home and get some rest. I was sad earlier in the week that I didn't have Friday night plans yet, since they're usually spent driving to see K or getting ready for him to get here, but now I'm thinking it could be a good thing. I could fix myself some extra-buttery popcorn, curl up on the couch and watch a movie. Although I wish K was coming this weekend, it's probably a good thing for two reasons: 1) He might catch my cold (or whatever it is), and 2) Like I said, I look like I feel.

And all I have to say is the old addage "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" is definitely wrong, because I eat at least three apples a week -- which is more than I have in the past -- and I'm still sick!

*******UPDATE*******
So it's just before 5 p.m. We've been done with our work for at least 30 minutes, so I've been working on helping other people in the department before I get the final word from our department head that we're good to go so I can leave.

Now, my boss is perfectly able to tell me, "You're sick. Go home. I'll wait around." So what does he do? He comes to my office and says, "We finished so early I have time to go get a haircut." He tells me I need to stick around and wait until 5:30, when our deadline is. He did tell me if I haven't heard, I can feel free to walk out the door at 5:30. Thanks, boss. Thanks a lot.

I think I'll go cough on his keyboard.

No comments: