Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Great girl weekend

It's been a while since I was able to post because my lovely computer has decided to mess up on me, so here I am at work posting because it's the slow point right now.

I have to say I had a pretty good weekend, and unexpectedly. Friday night I stayed home to try to fight my cold. I watched movies and actually went to bed at about 10:15 because I'd fallen asleep on the couch. I tried Saturday morning to go to the gym, but I couldn't breathe, and only 12 minutes on the elliptical made me all red-faced. It was disappointing, since I'd had such a great workout just two days earlier. I left and decided to try again Sunday or Monday.

So I ran some errands that day. It was pretty productive. I called one of my best friends, ER, who I was planning on hanging out with that night. My brother was going to be racing near us that night, and ER had gone with me to watch him in that same race a year earlier. We'd had such a blast that when I told her he was racing it again, she immediately said she wanted to go. I hadn't even planned on asking because most of my friends are a little less than thrilled about the idea of watching my brother drive a car in circles on a dirt track for a few hours on a weekend night. We decided to get a big group together to go. The group wound up falling apart, so it was just the two of us, and we were both glad it turned out that way.

We used to hang out in college just the two of us quite a bit, and we hadn't been able to do that in a long time. Usually ER's old roommate WK, who is also one of my friends, is with us, which is fine, but sometimes it's good just to catch up with just the two of us. Unfortunately, my brother didn't do very well. His steering box was a little tight (which is racer talk for "it wouldn't turn," which explains why he was losing speed so much in the turns).

But ER and I had a great time hanging out watching the races. She called it our "Redneck Night." We went to Johnny Carinos afterward for an awesome dinner (and bellinis!) filled with girl talk and TMI (too much information) conversations about our boyfriends. :) It was great. I'm really glad I have girl friends who I can talk to about things like that. ER and I were both in long-term relationships with the same guy pretty much all through college (hers started in high school). Both were pretty unhealthy, and both did their share of damage. And now we're both in wonderful relationships with great guys, and it's so nice to see that for ourselves and for each other. And our friends are definitely happy about it, too.

After dinner, we went back to ER's new house and watched an episode of Sex and the City, and then I went home and crashed. At 11:30. But it was a great night. ER had invited me to go to church with her the next day, which I'd done a few times before and really liked. So I met her there for her 20s and 30s age-group class, then we went to the services and sat with her family. Her dad calls me his Oklahoma daughter. :)

After church, I went home and had leftover Johnny Carinos (yum) and cleaned my whole apartment. It was such a nice day, and I slept with the windows open that night.

A great, relaxing weekend.

No comments: