Thursday, May 25, 2006

Ew!!!

My air conditioner in my apartment has been making funny noises. I had to call the office today about my lease, so while I was on the phone, I told them about my air conditioner. It's been making this high-pitched noise when it kicks on. It sounds like the fan is attached by a bolt or something, and the bolt is loose, which makes the propeller part rock back and forth on the metal bar it's held on. That's what it sounds like to me. Or maybe it's just old.

I know nothing about air conditioners, but I know it's not supposed to make that noise. I'm afraid it's just going to explode or combust or something, so I told the girl on the phone that. She said she'd put in a maintenance request.

I live by myself, and I'm not home during the day, so I turn my air up to like 85 or something while I'm gone because I don't need my apartment to be cool when I'm not here. When I get home, I turn it down to around 78 (it's hard to tell on this thermostat), and I hang out in shorts and a tank top. This is what we did in my apartment in college, too. To me, the apartment is supposed to be cool -- not cold.

But when I walked in tonight, my air was on and it was cold inside. Cold. The air was set to just below 70. Which is insane. I found the maintenance note on my table, and it said "that is regular noise for all a/c." I guess they didn't bother listening outside to the actual A/C unit. The note said they'd come at 1 p.m. Which means my air conditioner has been running for the majority of 6 hours (I'm sure it did turn off a few times for a minue or two.)

I was frustrated about that, so I called and left a message at my apartment complaining that they had turned my air way down and left it that way, and then didn't fix my air. I was nice in the message, but I told them I don't even turn my air down that low when I'm here. (I don't even turn it down that low when K is here!) I also told them that it's the unit itself, which is outside, that is making the noise.

It woke me up last night TWICE when it kicked on because it's so loud!

I hung up the phone and then walked into my bathroom. I was appalled. My toilet seat was up! I never leave my toilet seat up. And there were little clumps of dirt all around my floor and my pretty yellow bathroom rug. Which means that the maintenance guy came in here, jacked my air down, didn't hear anything and proceeded to do whatever on my toilet. I don't know what he did on there, but I don't like it, no matter what. He didn't even fix my air conditioner!!!

I feel slightly ridiculous for being mad that he used my bathroom, but I am, and that's how I feel. Honestly, it makes me wonder what else the guy did while he was here.

I saw a TV special last year about germs in your home. It mentioned the bathroom, and it said that when you flush the toilet, fecal matter and bacteria is thrown up to 15 ft. away from the toilet if the lid is not down. Since then, I always put the lid down on my toilet. Always. My old roommate saw the same special, and she does the same thing, so I'm not crazy.

I just don't like fecal matter being on my bath towels. Especially if it belongs to the apartment maintenance guy.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

EWE!!!!! I am totally with you on this one!!!!

YUCK!