Wednesday, May 31, 2006

MyTimewaster

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I've joined MySpace. I swore I'd never do it. (I also swore I'd never have a blog, but here I am ... But in my defense I saw people in college doing stupid high school-like things on blogs, like using them to vent about organizations or sorority things that aren't supposed to be discussed with nonmembers. They would use them in a childish way to complain about people rather than suck it up and express the problem to a person's face. Of course everyone would find out -- it's a blog! I do not use my blog for those purposes. And it's a secret blog, so there!)

Ahem ... I don't like to spend too much time doing such things online. It's slightly ironic to spend your time building a page about your life, then blogging about your life. If you're not careful, you can wind up not having a life because you spent it all online.

I swore off facebook in college, too. I knew it was something I could lose way too much of my time to. I only joined it after Brad and I broke up. He joined, so clearly, it was the only thing left for me to do. Plus, my best friends had been bugging me about it for months.

I started my blog for the fun of it. It seemed like a cool thing to do. I type faster than I write, so it seemed like a way to record my life in a simple way, and the thought that other people could enjoy reading about it is kinda neat, too.

But that was enough for me. I didn't want a MySpace page. I didn't need one. But Kristin had begged K and me to join for months. She sent us both multiple invitations to join. Then CG started on us. She made a page for Joe. I told CG and Kristin that one reason I didn't want to join MySpace is because I knew CM had a page, and I didn't want to be all weird and checking it and everything trying to find out more about her, since she's kind of mysterious to me. Well, Kristin informed K the other day that CM no longer has a page. There went my excuse.

And Kristin is really bad about keeping up with e-mailing, so it's a good, easy way to keep in touch.

I'm exhausted today because I made my page yesterday, then walked K through building his last night. I was up until 12:30. Facebook didn't take up a ton of my time after I got my page all set up. I can only hope MySpace is the same way -- for your sake and for mine, 'cause reading about my time online is would get pretty boring. ;)

4 comments:

Courtney said...

OH! Be careful!! It's SOOOO addictive. They had to block it from my work computer before I could really get a handle on my own addiction to the site. Still though, it's the first thing I check when I get home at night.

Eeeek.

(although now I'm on maybe once a day instead of 90 times a day, so that's good)

And yes, if there's a ex girlfriend (or fiance) on there you WILL stalk her. It's human nature... and no matter how hard you try to stop and even when she installs a tracker thing that lets her know that you are totally looking at her page you will *STILL* look because you simply will not be able to drag yourself away.

SO ADDICTIVE!!!

my life is brilliant said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who would have that problem. I don't know what it is about your guy's exes, but they just make us girls crazy!

s said...

yeah i am also a myspace addict and friendster. god, they are so addicting. funny thing is i thought i was the only addict, but slowly everyone seems to be admiting it sucks some of their time away too.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah. Sucking the time away here. I came across a discovery the other day. Only it wasn't HIS ex. Oops. Although we did try to look that his up too. Courtney's comment had me laughing!!