Wednesday, May 10, 2006

America is CRAZY (and a fun fact about me)

I am so bummed! Chris Daughtry, my favorite contestant on American Idol, was somehow kicked off tonight. This is crazy! He was awesome. I would totally buy his cd. I guess I'll just have to root for Taylor now. If he gets kicked off next week, I'm done. Seriously.

Now Twister is on TBS. It's funny how they always play these tornado movies during the spring. Gotta make us scared, ya know? Especially since a tornado blew through the county next to mine last night.

I love the movie Twister, though. It was filmed in Oklahoma! And all the footage of the meteorologists on the TV news stations is real. Each of the three local stations in OKC had their meteorologists in the movie. The only thing I don't like about the movie is the "Melissa Reeves" character. I was really afraid before this movie came out that they'd all have fake hick accents that I was convinced the world thought Oklahomans have. Luckily, the annoying Melissa Reeves chick is the only one with the accent.

But another thing I really like about the movie is that a piece of my past is in it. My parents are fans of antiques -- especially my mom. Our house was filled with them. There was an antique store in Purcell, Oklahoma, called Butler's that we always went to. My parents were friends with the owners. Anyway, my brother had this great antique bed, and the owners always loved it and asked about it. My brother hit his growth spurt and outgrew the bed. At the same time, I had the perfect spot in my room for a secretary's desk. As fate would have it, there was a perfect desk at Butler's Antiques. They offered to negotiate with a trade for the bed, so my parents agreed.

The very next week after I had my desk and Butler's had its bed back, the set designers from Twister walked in looking for props. They bought my brother's old bed and a picture of Jesus. If you watch the movie, in the very first scene, you see Jo as a child lying in her bed -- my brother's bed.

My whole family went to see the movie at the theater, and in the first scene we were all so excited and said loudly, "That's our bed! That's our bed!" when it showed it in the movie. It showed it more in the theater. Maybe in the widescreen version, you can still see it better. But it's there, and I know it's our bed. And that's awesome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is soooo awesome. How fun to have a piece of your history in a movie forever! We just watched that movie the other day and I think I remember what you're talking about. I'll have to look for it next time!