Sunday, May 21, 2006

Saturday night fever

I can probably count on one hand the number of times that I have been drunk. I can count on one finger the number of times I've drank so much I got sick. And that finger would not have been up 24 hours ago.

K came here again this weekend. Saturday night we went to Fort Worth and had dinner with CG and Joe. Afterward, we went to The Library, which is a bar in Sundance Square. The Library has Long Island iced teas for $2.50, which is a really good deal. So we were all drinking LITs.

One of the other times I have been drunk (which some people probably would've considered to be closer to buzzed or tipsy) was a result of three LITs. I wasn't paying attention last night to how many LITs I had. I know it was either 4 or 5. I'm thinking it was 4. They didn't taste strong at all. CG is also a less-experienced drinker. The drinks didn't really seem strong. CG and I both, after our second ones, were like, "I don't feel anything." It only made sense that since the drinks were so inexpensive, the bartender would make them less strong.

But we were all just having a good time. CG and I made a bathroom run, and on the way back, she said she needed to close her tab. She thought we should each get one more drink, so we did. And that may very well have thrown me over the edge.

We left not long after because it was getting late. I don't remember walking from the bar to the car. I did finally remember today, though, right when we got to the car because K had said something jokingly to me that made me go up and talk to the three total strangers -- two guys and a girl -- who were walking in front of us. I did, however, manage to remember their names -- Greg, John and Ashley. (My incredible memory -- especially with names and people -- was still functioning that way.)

I don't remember the car ride from the bar to CG's apartment. Joe drove, and he was sober, by the way. I don't remember walking in to the apartment. But I do remember everything after we got there. I started feeling very sick. K had already fallen asleep. I wound up throwing up like three times. I went to go lie down to go to bed, but I guess my body still wanted to be vertical because that made me get sick again.

CG's bathroom is very big and L-shaped, so she said it might be good for me to just stay in there. She put a blanket and pillow on the carpeted part of the floor in front of her washer and drier. I fell asleep there and woke up sometime later when K was over me stroking my forehead. He had woken up and seen I wasn't there and went looking for me. I told him what had happened, and we went back to the bed and passed out there.

This morning, I woke up about 9:30 and was talking to K about last night. We were laughing about stuff from the bar, and I was trying to fill in the missing 20 minutes or so between my last LIT and CG's apartment. We talked for a while and managed to fall back asleep. When we heard CG and Joe moving around, we got up and joined them.

They started talking about lunch and places to go eat. I wasn't hungry, and I was still feeling a bit unsettled, so the last thing I wanted to do was hear about food. We wound up going to Chili's, though, because K wanted "greasy hangover food" and I wanted a sandwich because it sounded safe. When we got to Chili's, I started feeling sick again. Nothing happened, though.

We got our food, and the last thing I wanted to do was eat the sandwich and salad in front of me. I knew it was the only way to start feeling better, though, so I took a bite of my salad because it was what I wanted most. Suddenly, I knew it wouldn't be good for me to sit there much longer. So I tapped K on the leg and he got up to let me out of the booth. I got sick again three more times in the Chili's bathroom. Luckily, no one came in while I was in there.

I still wasn't excited about eating, but I managed to get a little food down and then more and then most of it. I felt quite a bit better. I don't think I've thrown up like that since I was in high school and had some kind of virus or something.

Someone told me a few weeks ago that if you haven't thrown up from drinking before, then you've never actually been "drunk." All I have to say is that that is an experience/feeling that I am not hoping to recreate. Ever.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Throwing up does NOT equal drunk. Throwing up equals drinking way too much... or mixing too many different types of alcohol.

I've been drunk roughly a zillion times. I've thrown up 4 times.