Tuesday, May 30, 2006

It's good to know

K and I had a wonderful weekend in San Antonio. He came Friday to my office and took me out to lunch. He brought me a single red rose. :)

We left Saturday a little after noon and got to San Antonio early that evening. We enjoyed ourselves alone for a bit, then we went to dinner at Dick's Last Resort. That place is so cool! I didn't know it, but I guess there's one in Dallas, too.

The whole thing about the restaurant is that the servers and employees are just rude to you. They watch your reactions to gauge how far to take it. There were like 4 bachelorette parties there. Unfortunately, our waiter was waiting on the party that had more than 15 girls in it -- all drama queens. We didn't get to experience as much of the atmosphere, but we definitely had fun watching everyone else and seeing the whole scene. We'll have to go back with a group next time.

We met up with one of K's buddies stationed in the same place as him who was in San Antonio for the weekend with his brother, who was visiting from Washington. We met them at this piano bar called Durty Nelly's. It was fun. After hanging out there a bit, we left and went to some club. K and I didn't stay long. It was raining, so we walked along the riverwalk back to the hotel in the rain.

The next day was overcast, so it wound up being perfect for our plans. We went to Sea World, which was an absolute blast! We fed the dolphins and touched them. That was really cool.





Then, we went and saw the sharks and tropical fish (kept separately, by the way). After that, we went to the Shamu show, "Believe." It was so awesome! I was very proud of myself for getting this picture at the end.

After that, K and I went to see the sea lions and the otters. Then, we hit up the Anheiser Busch tent and met up there again with K's friend and his brother, who we had also watched the Shamu show with. We had our two complimentary beers there, and then we walked around the park some more. I found this great (overpriced, but adorable) Sea World frame to put our picture in.





It was such a great day! We went back to our hotel and cleaned up, then we went out to dinner at this Mexican restaurant on the Riverwalk.

K ordered a 60-ounce margarita. It was so huge! I was full, so I didn't exactly do my part in drinking half of it. I don't think we'll ever order a drink that big again.




We stopped off a little north of Austin for lunch, and a good friend of mine from college that I hadn't seen in a year (last time was at CG's wedding, where I met K) met us there with her boyfriend. It was great to see her again, and I hadn't gotten to meet her guy yet. She met K briefly at the wedding, so she actually got to meet him more. K and I are going to go to Austin later this summer or maybe even for Labor Day to stay with them and hang out. It'll be fun!

Anyway, when we got back on the road, K said, "Now they're just dating?" I said yes, but that the live together. They're planning on getting married and not it'll happen; they're just not in a rush. And K said, "Yeah, there's definitely no reason to rush it." That made me confused. We'd also had a conversation the night before about things with CM. When we'd been in the car on the way to San Antonio, I asked him if he'd had songs in past relationships. We were talking about our old songs in the past. K said he and CM had a whole list of songs (Brad and I did, too). One of their songs was some jazz song because it was playing during their first kiss after the rehearsal dinner for the wedding they met at (yeah, I know). They were dancing to the song when they first kissed. So they had this great first kiss story.

Our first kiss was great, but it was when we were about to go to sleep. We were at my dad's, and he was at his girlfriend's. I could either make K sleep on the futon or let him sleep with me on the full-sized bed. I told him it was ridiculous to make him sleep on a crappy futon so I could have a bed to myself. I told him I trusted him, and he was fine sleeping in the bed. He kept saying the futon was fine, but I insisted he just stay in the bed. I moved all the way to the edge, and he climbed in. He was on one side, I was on the other. He said, "Goodnight," and I heard him raise up from lying on his stomach. I turned my head, and we kissed. It was a short, innocent kiss (that I would have let go on a little longer, but he didn't want me to feel uncomfortable). Afterward, we faced each other in the bed and held hands between us talking about how suddenly we weren't sleepy anymore. We talked for a while and fell asleep holding hands.

Our kiss was sweet and nice, but just knowing they had this great, movie-like first kiss was kind of saddening to me. I remembered K had said once that alcohol helped bring them together, so I asked if he was drunk when it happened, desparately hoping he'd say yes. Of course he wasn't.

Anyhow, somehow we ended up talking about their engagement again. I figured since he was a little under the influence he wouldn't mind as much. He said that they had talked about marriage several times before they were engaged. We've barely talked about it.

So K's comment about my friend, her boyfriend and not rushing anything made me wonder what he meant by that. I got really quiet, thinking about everything. He was quiet, too, and he said he was trying to figure out what was wrong with me. I told him it was his comment. I told him that I didn't want to rush anything, and I didn't want to be his psycho girlfriend who's always talking about marriage or getting engaged. I told him that no matter how much more time we'd spent together or how much better we go together, she has one thing I don't: She knew exactly how he felt about her. I told him that if he wasn't ready to talk about marriage, it was fine, but that I had told him how I felt.

He said that he thought he had told me how he felt, but maybe he'd just dreamed it or something. He said he knows he wants to spend the rest of his life with me and that we'll get married some day and have babies. I told him that was all I wanted to know -- to hear him say that and know that was the case. I told him it had upset me the night before to know that he and CM had talked about marriage before, and her best friend said CM knew she didn't want to marry him! I said we had talked about my wedding and his wedding, and who my bridesmaids would be at my wedding and who his groomsmen will be at his wedding. We had even talked about when we each thought a good time would be, and it happened that it was the same month. But we still never said anything about us or ours. I hoped that was what it meant, but still, it's just good to hear it said. And he did. We got to a stoplight, and we hugged. He said, "I love you, future wife." It was so cool to hear him say that. It'll be even cooler when we can officially say it.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

CUTE PICTURES!!!

And fun weekend!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful weekend! It sounds like you guys really worked on getting on the same page together. As far as the first kiss I understand the sadness but truly know it doesn't mean anything! B's and my first kiss was right when we were about to fall asleep too :) . It was still wonderful and sweet and innocent and I hardly remember it. I think that's what the beginning of love is supposed to look like not something that can never be lived up to but something to discover the best part that's yet to come :) .

Anonymous said...

Oh and the picture of you two is so very cute! I want to take my boys to Sea World so bad now!